HybridZ

early 4-speed, or late 4-speed?

Sparky

hey gang,

I have two 4 speeds in the garage right now, and was wondering what would be the best to use. the early 4-speed has the seperate bell housing and different gear selector, but the late 4-speed is a one peice unit (well, two peices really, just a one peice front section)

I was wondering if there is a better 4 speed to use, and also if the early one is worth anything.

thanks in advance!

Hey Steve, there are 2 different versions of the "late" 4 speed. One has the same gear spread as the "early" 5 speed and would be referred to as the "late" 4 speed. Found in cars where the 5 speed was optional so the only difference is the OD if you got the 5 instead of the 4. The other one piece case 4 speed should have a 3.5 first gear which SHOULD be in that car. Ever learned if it has 3.54 or 3.90 in the R200?

Let me know when you want that other stuff. I sent you an email last night.

As Mike said you want the early Type B 4 speed (bellhousing and gearcase as one unit). The early, early 4 speed is generally referred to as the Type A and is weaker then the Type B. Someone who is restoring an early car might be interested in that tranny or you can just remove and keep the bellhousing for later use if you do any kind of trans conversion. For my Quaife tranny install an early bellhousing was used along with an adapter palte.

hey mike, I have not even come close to getting that diff apart yet, ive completely stripped the engine bay and front suspension, right now the springs are getting re-coated and all the misc bits are getting blasted and painted. im trying to clean the engine bay up as much as possible before i drop that purdy motor in there ( i should have just left it dirty :roll: !)

Ill drop you a line soon, its kinda hectic around here right now with the GF moving away to cali...trying to say our goodbyes and get things sorted is alot of work.

thanks John for the info. It looks like im just going to part the trans out. I really dont want to ship a trans that i would be lucky to get a bill for. so ill just keep the bell housing, and dump the rest on ebay in small chunks.

thanks again for the info guys, I can always count on the HybridZ.org crew!

laterZ