HybridZ

cops and not passing smog

Guest Damn Cracker

Guest Damn Cracker

Lets just say i swapped in a motor in a post 74 car, (i live in the land of the smog nazi's, california), and there was no way this motor was ever gonna pass smog, but i drove it anyways. If i got pulled over, and the cop found out that my car didn't pass smog, what would they do? Fix it ticket, warning, impound, i really have no idea, and am kind of curious.

Until inspection time comes, they probably wouldn't have a clue. Once the inspection has expired, then you might get a warning or a ticket, depending on why you got pulled over in the first place. Once the warning/ticket has been issued though you may have your vehicle towed and impounded.

Might want to consider getting it past the nazis' considering the high cost of towing/impounding in your area.

Car would be impounded and you would be fined, or maybe something less. Personally, I don't think that it would become an issue--only if they found out about it. Remember that you still have to get a post '74 car smogged in Kali.

Davy

It would most likely depend on what you did to get pulled over by a cop. Secondly, it would depend on your attitude when the cop is writing you the ticket. Thirdly, it would depend on how nice the vehicle looked in the cop's eye.

For example: Big smokey burnout and street racing in the neighborhood where the cop lives, you calling him a pig and informing him that you pay his salary as he's writing you the ticket, and your car has three different colors of primer, torn up interior, oil dripping on the street, four bald tires, and a rusted out muffler - the car's going to get impounded for life and you're going to spend the night in jail with a guy the cops call "Duwayne the Reamer."

It would most likely depend on what you did to get pulled over by a cop. Secondly' date=' it would depend on your attitude when the cop is writing you the ticket. Thirdly, it would depend on how nice the vehicle looked in the cop's eye.

For example: Big smokey burnout and street racing in the neighborhood where the cop lives, you calling him a pig and informing him that you pay his salary as he's writing you the ticket, and your car has three different colors of primer, torn up interior, oil dripping on the street, four bald tires, and a rusted out muffler - the car's going to get impounded for life and you're going to spend the night in jail with a guy the cops call "Duwayne the Reamer."[/quote']

LOL

Yeah. Try and keep the primer all one color.

The problem comes in when you've got to register your car and you're due for a smog check:

No smog check = no registration = no new tags on your licence plate = reason to pull you over = ticket for driving w/o registration = gotta fix by court date = smog car and pay fines & reg or tell the judge a good reason to give you an extension.

Guest livewire23

Can someone in Iowa tell me how smog works there? I gave up on getting this beast smogged in cali, its got no smog stuff and no exhaust. Now I'll get an exhaust, but how much trouble is it to get smogged? If I only had to pass a tailpipe sniffer, that'd really make my day. I dont mind cats, I just hate visual. With standalone I could lean it out like a mofo, and then pass smog like that.

With standalone I could lean it out like a mofo, and then pass smog like that

Leaning it out will cause the hydrocarbon emissions to go WAY up. Ask me how I know.

You will get the lowest overall emission numbers when the car is tuned to run right. If your cam is not too radical and your engine in good shape/tune, then you should have no trouble passing a sniff test using standards from a 20 to 30 year old car. If you have to meet the standards for a newer engine, then you might need a little more.

Sniff tests don't test the car under a very wide range of conditions. That is why most smog laws require quite a bit more. I also think that is why smog laws don't want you to do anything to your car. It is too hard for them to determine how the change will affect emissions.