HybridZ

302 swap questions (im such a newbie)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

uhh question i cant find any info on swaping a carburated 302 into a 79 280zx is this possible if so will there be alot of cuting and welding to be done or do the motor mounts match up easily also my current zx is efi and the 302 is carb will this make my project a hurendious event? And one last thing i live in delaware does anyone know of any good z mechanics in my area?

• 2 months later...
Guest tom sixbey

yea - the zx is rear steer and the firewall is moved forward a bit. - I have a '79 with manual rack and pinion steering, and i have yet to see what header clearance issues i'm going to have... - probably wont be too much harder than a 1st generation car...

yea - the zx is rear steer and the firewall is moved forward a bit. - I have a '79 with manual rack and pinion steering, and i have yet to see what header clearance issues i'm going to have... - probably wont be too much harder than a 1st generation car...

So you dont have that big'ol gear box on the drivers side? If no then you have some hope!

Guy

Guest tom sixbey
:) hehehe - we'll see about that!! hopefully the angle of the steering column wont present too many problems. I believe it cuts towards the rack at a sharper angle in a zx than it does in the earlier cars, so i may not be as well off as i think.. only time will tell