HybridZ

Help removing fenders (Rusty bolts)!!

Hey guys, does anyone have any suggestions for getting my fenders off. I have some rust starting on the underside of the top of my fenders. I wanted to take them off, clean them up and undercoat them. I started removing the bolts that attach the front air dam to the fenders and sure enough they would all break free and then just spin. :evil: They were so rusted the nut just ate the threads. I am going to be using an aftermarket airdam so I can just cut the bolts and not worry about hurting my stock dam. I am worried though that the same thing will happen when I try to unbolt my fenders from the rest of the car. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help

Thanks in advance.

Grab the hot wrench. If you just heat the top of the bolt and angle the torch just right, with a bit of practice you can cut off the head without damaging the fender. A more time consuming but safer way is a grinder with a cut off wheel.

For the ones that haven't been stripped yet, soak for a day or two with penetrating oil then heat with a torch before wrenching.

If you heat the heads of the bolts and quench them with COLD water, the fast contraction will draw some water into the theads. Not only does this lubricate the threads but the cotraction helps to break away the corrosion and oxidation.

As you losen the bolts, back them out until they get tight and retighten before backing them out further. You may have to do this several times to help clean the threads off.