HybridZ

Scottie downpipe and T-5 fit???

jgkurz

Hi all, I was reading a post earlier today on found out that my planned T-5 install will probably not go as planned.... :x

I have a Scottie downpipe that has worked and fit flawlessly with my Datsun trans. It now looks like I will have to do some grinding on the T-5 transmission and fabricate some kind of spacer to make the downpipe fit.

Can anyone give me more details on this problem? I'd rather not have a new downpipe built if I don't have to.

Thanks!!!!

Your correct. The downpipe will not fit a with a T5 trans as built. I had this problem about three years ago. I asked Scottie to have one made with the flange turned 5 degrees. This worked out better but still requred grinding on the T5 bellhousing.

Joe

My solution involved cutting off the flange from the stock ZXT downpipe, milling it flat, and installing it between the downpipe and the turbo outlet. I had to install longer studs in the turbine housing as well. I then ground a small area away from the bellhousing and from the fins on the gear case. It's tight everywhere (close to the firewall, close to the bellhousing and gear case), but I've been running it for two years now without a problem.

Hey Sleeper - if you used the stock flange, ground down smooth, why did you have to install longer studs in the turbine housing? Just wondering because i'm getting ready to make a custom DP also to get around a T5 and was either going to do exactly what you mentioned - cut stock flange and weld new DP to it or, just make a new flange out of stock. You guys with experience and time staring at it - do you think there's enough room to fabricate 2 45degree 2 1/2" bends and not have to modify the T5 at all? Thanks in advance.

Hey Sleeper - if you used the stock flange, ground down smooth, why did you have to install longer studs in the turbine housing? Just wondering because i'm getting ready to make a custom DP also to get around a T5 and was either going to do exactly what you mentioned - cut stock flange and weld new DP to it or, just make a new flange out of stock. You guys with experience and time staring at it - do you think there's enough room to fabricate 2 45degree 2 1/2" bends and not have to modify the T5 at all? Thanks in advance.

I used the stock flange as a spacer between the stainless downpipe and the turbo - there is 0.5" more thickness (and an extra gasket). The studs were not long enough (and I double-nutted them too, as a lock washer WILL NOT work here).

You should have no problem with 2 45* mandrel bends 2-1/2" OD. You just need to be very precise about the length you cut them, and the angle you weld the sections together. The room is there, but it is tight, and there is not much margin for error. I looked at my setup last night, and I get about 1/8" clearance between the bellhousing and the pipe, and 1/8" between the firewall and the pipe in the same location. There is no contact to the firewall under accelleration because the movement is along the firewall, not to it.