HybridZ

help me out with my rear end.....

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys..

well on my stock/never been touched 76' 280Z it seems like my whole rear end is about to just fall out when im driving.

like the thing shakes when i give the car alittle gas, makes all kinds of sounds, and clunks and bangs.. it really seems in bad bad shape.

now the thing is ill be putting a L28ET motor in my Z soon, as soon as i can find the time. know i always wanted a R200 3.70 LSD rearend but its hard to find. also i was told that a 3.54 would be better for me, and the car will be used as a street car that will be really just raced on the street.

know im really lost on rear ends.. i did searchs and etc but im always lost.

so the thing is what needs to be replaced, swapped out, etc etc when putting in a R200 LSD rear end in a 240Z.. also what parts need to be bought and etc,.

like i said i did searchs, maybe i didnt look hard enought but maybe it would be easier if somebody just told me flat out :).

thanks guys, as im going to be doing this very, very soon.

Mike

oh cmon man! jack that thing up and take a look at it, it could be a few things down there.

u-joints

diff mount

mustach bar bushings

loos bolts anywhere

control arm bushings,

loose strut bolts

loose anything really

check the rubber

jack the car up by the diff, if the diff moves before the car moves, its got a pretty good amount of wear going on.

everyone would like to have a limited slip rear, and the only ways ive seen to get it are cash, a biweekly visit to every junkyard in a 100 mile radius, and places like this. expect to pay abotu 500.00 for a 3.7

1000.00 for a quiafe and 800 for a nismo clutch type- and more for installing the clutch pack into your diff, the 3.7 clutch type is the one im looking for, and dont think ill ever find..... its pretty close to a bolt if you switch the rear cover, if not you have to buy a special brace, also have to either swap driveshaft flanges or swap pinion flanges, the halfshafts plug right in. not hard, bring a friend, or a tranny jack to get it back in,

takes me 4.5 hours on the ground doing it, or 2 hours on the lift, it gets easier the more times you get down there, and ive already been down there enough............

Guest ON3GO

well i cant take my wheels off yet as the car has wheel stud locks, and i dont have the key, so im gonna try to get them off. i really think everythig needs to be changed..... im gonna take a look, but i guess ill start buying parts now....

when i get all my stuff from Ross, and start installing them, and my new brakes ill do a even better check.... now i just gotta order my rims.

thanks

mike

Guest ON3GO

ya i was gonna try that as my friend did that on his Vette.

thing is its hard to get the socket off the nut when u get if off :)

mike

hey guys..

well on my stock/never been touched 76' 280Z it seems like my whole rear end is about to just fall out when im driving.

like the thing shakes when i give the car alittle gas' date=' makes all kinds of sounds, and clunks and bangs.. it really seems in bad bad shape.

now the thing is ill be putting a L28ET motor in my Z soon, as soon as i can find the time. know i always wanted a R200 3.70 LSD rearend but its hard to find. also i was told that a 3.54 would be better for me, and the car will be used as a street car that will be really just raced on the street.

know im really lost on rear ends.. i did searchs and etc but im always lost.

so the thing is what needs to be replaced, swapped out, etc etc when putting in a R200 LSD rear end in a 240Z.. also what parts need to be bought and etc,.

like i said i did searchs, maybe i didnt look hard enought but maybe it would be easier if somebody just told me flat out :).

thanks guys, as im going to be doing this very, very soon.

Mike[/quote']

Be clear on the car...this is a 280 or a 240? You mentioned both. 240 needs a mustache bar and halfshaft conversion, the 280 rear end is good. Just replace all the bushings and mounts - control arm bushings, mustache bar bushings, front diff mount. The strut pins can probably be left alone until you really want adventure, and they aren't going to be responsible for rattling or shaking.

And do get underneath and get familiar with the setup - it's very simple and easy to understand, works very well when maintained. You'll be an expert in no time.

I was looking for an LSD for a long time. They are hard to find and I dont want to pay 400$ for some used one.

But the more I read, an IRS car with an open diff hooks up well if it is a drag race. In the corners it is a different story. I have heard of some Z's with open diffs can pull a 1.8 or so 60' time.

Guest hf240z

also have to either swap driveshaft flanges or swap pinion flanges

Hi, you mention about swapping pinion flanges, is the flange coming from an R180, and do i just loosen and remove the nut and pull out the flange and replace it with the one from R180? is this a bolt on kinda process?

by the way if your looking for an lsd, i have one from 1990(viscous type, it is 80lbs, and i am from L.A.)

thanks,

oh cmon man! jack that thing up and take a look at it' date=' it could be a few things down there.

u-joints

diff mount

mustach bar bushings

loos bolts anywhere

control arm bushings,

loose strut bolts

loose anything really

check the rubber

jack the car up by the diff, if the diff moves before the car moves, its got a pretty good amount of wear going on.

everyone would like to have a limited slip rear, and the only ways ive seen to get it are cash, a biweekly visit to every junkyard in a 100 mile radius, and places like this. expect to pay abotu 500.00 for a 3.7

1000.00 for a quiafe and 800 for a nismo clutch type- and more for installing the clutch pack into your diff, the 3.7 clutch type is the one im looking for, and dont think ill ever find..... its pretty close to a bolt if you switch the rear cover, if not you have to buy a special brace, also have to either swap driveshaft flanges or swap pinion flanges, the halfshafts plug right in. not hard, bring a friend, or a tranny jack to get it back in,

takes me 4.5 hours on the ground doing it, or 2 hours on the lift, it gets easier the more times you get down there, and ive already been down there enough............[/quote']