HybridZ

Front Crossmember Problem, help Please

Guest sb400z

Guest sb400z

Allright, here's the deal. I just got done installing all my stuff from Ross (Xtreme fronts, 240sx rear, 5 lug and cv adapters), and when I took off the old R180 to put in my LSD R200, one of the 4 bolts broke and is crossthreaded. The only solution I can think of is to take a drill to it to get it out then go in through the floorboard, use a big washer, and hope it stays. Any other suggestions out there? Or will i hurt anything doing this? Thanks.

I had that problem also. What I did was use a center punch to put a dent in the center of broke off bolt, and used a 1/8" drill bit to drill a pilot hole.

Then I used a bit the next size larger than the orig hole to drill all four holes to prepare for the use of a tap.

I then used a fine thread tap ( sae non-metric size if I remember right) to re-tap the slightly larger holes, and bought fine thread grade 8 bolts.

I belive I also had to slightly enlarge the x member holes for the new bolts.

What J. Did was EXACTLY what you want to do, or drill TAP and HELICOIL the existing holes. Don't leave it as is... If the bolt breaks off under load, you could have a seriously damaging and dangerous problem.

Mike :shock: