HybridZ

A New diff strap idea

ZR8ED

I just got myself a new OEM front diff mount for my 280. I have a solid SS one that is simply driving me mad. It is transmitting the whine of the diff through my rollcage, and makes it hard to talk in the cabin. (we checked the diff first to ensure it is not a problem with the diff.)

Well I managed to break my solid mount once before, so I'm pretty confident I will quickly destroy a stock one again.

After seeing what some have done on this site, and after a conversation with my mech today, I have a new plan!

I'm not sure if the 240's had the diff strap thingy, but my 280 does. The strap is long gone, but the mounting flange with the bolts are still there.

Anone know the diameter of the shafts of those bolts?.. 8 mm? mine aren't out yet (saturday) so I haven't had the chance to look at them yet.

Well here is the new idea.. I am going to use some 1/8 inch thick flat bar 1" wide (to fit the mounting flanges on the tranny tunnel from the factory) I am going to then weld on two pieces of pipe close to the same diameter as the bolts on the strap mounting flanges, and weld them to the flat bar, this will give it some way of mounting to the flanges on the tunnel.. A slight bend is needed to clear over the diff itself. I then plan to place a piece of rubber on the under side of this piece of flat bar, and try and place it a hair above the top of the diff.

This is to reduce the noise transmitting through the car. When some torque is applied through the diff, it should hit this flat bar, and hold it from rising any further. (at this point if it makes a whining noise in the cabin, it won't really matter, as I will be concentrating on other things) when the diff is under minor load, I hope that it will have a bit of clearance, and by having that, keep it quiet while normal driving.

It will be removeable so swapping diffs later on should be a non issue.

This so far sounds like a very simple solution.. the bar might look something like this.... 0-----0

What do ya think?

I have some flat bar.. I just need some pipe slightly larger in ID than the mounting bolts.

I hope to do this at the same time I swap the diff mount.

weather permitting...

I would have sworn I had said my project was finished, and I'd be just enjoying it this year...

darn tweeking...

Basically, from what I can tell, you are refering to a snubber. A rubber stop for the diff. to push against when it rises. It would take the place of the strap over the nose of the diff. and simulate the strap, but with plate steel(w/ rubber cushion) that would be bolted to the original holders of the strap in the trans tunnel. Is this correct?

If so, sounds like a "sound" idea. Sorry for the pun :lol:

sounds cool, i wanted to add something that would make it even quieter though. ok you have this flat bar where the rubber strap used to be

drill a hole in the center of it, and install a polyurethane bumpstop there, or a pinion snubber as they are known commonly, and use washers to adust the preload on it, and tighten down the other side with the supplied nylock nut. boom, instant quiet, cushioned mount.