HybridZ

Long vs. Short Water pump

Is there any advantage to either one that anyone knows of? Clearance to the radiator is not a problem in a hybrid, especially if using an electric fan. I've read about headaches getting alternators/brackets to align, but these can be overcome... Does it really matter which one you use?

Please get a long pump... It would have saved me a lot of stress and money if I had just got a long pump in the first place. But no, I thought the short pump looked better... There are members that successfully use the short pump but the alternator locations are wacky. Only one of them works- the header mount bracket location. this is fine, i guess, but i had a few personal problems with it. in the end it was best to get a short pump because it solved all my worries.

I love this place. You can post a question before you go to bed and sleep soundly knowing that in the morning you'll wake to a solid answer from experienced professionals.

I wish I could get answers to all of lifes questions that easily. 2thumbs.gif

Long pump it is. Thanks for the input.

Yes, size matters, I mean the long pump is better flamedevil.gif It does make accessory mounting much easier, and if you are going with a setback placement, there's plenty of room for an electric fan, etc.

I like the Stewart water pumps. The stage 2 and higher ones are new redesigned castings for even flow to each bank and have a good impeller and bearings, flow more and use less HP than other pumps. Go to http://www.stewartcomponents.com/chevy.htm for their catalog, if interested.

Yes, they are pricey. ($149 for the Stage 2)

Or if you have some extra $$$, you could go with this and not worry about alternator mounts at all!!

Barrett Engineering introduces an innovative new concept for the electrical demands of Racing Professionals. An alternator that is totally housed under the water pump pulley, drawing less than 1/3 HP to produce 16 volts at 15 amps, and will not interfere with other electrical equipment.

i245-cs21v.gif

Very trick, but $500! cry2.gif , but you do get a great quality water pump AND a great alternator!

Tim