HybridZ

'82 280zx Turbo GL V8 conversion help for newbie

Guest ENovacek

Guest ENovacek

Hi. I feel so hesitant to ask. I just spent a couple hours reading as much as I could here in HybridZ - been a lurker for almost a year. I'm original owner of this car - all 130k miles. Completely restored interior and all body work and paint now done (engine seemed fine at the time). Just replaced all FI's. Turbo has 80k miles on it - starting to die. Had the exhaust manifold ground down (was warped and popped a bolt out). Considering v8 conversion. JTR manual seems to be for 70-78 Z's only. Is there a better starting point for my car? Would like to go with Chevy V8 (like camaro z28). Seems like there's a lot more info out there for converting Z's than ZX's (pardon my ignorance). Thanks for any suggestions anyone has.

Gene

Gene, welcome to the site (formally) and we are glad you stopped lurking.

The JTR kit applies to Z's only, but MSA does have a kit for the ZX. However, if you are handy, you can fab your own mounts, etc for your car. Have you seen Dave Greimann's site? Also Ross Corrigan of http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/default.php also has a ZX V8 conversion.

I'm not sure if the search function is working, but you know the drill after lurking for as long as you have--hopefully you have been downloading pertinent info into a file.

Davy

Guest ENovacek

Thanks! Dave's site was the first one I saved to my Zstuff archive. Gotta great start now. Off to ebay to find an engine and trans...

Guest greimann

Sounds like you are off to a good start. The only thing I can offer at this point is if I were doing it over again, I would go with an LT1 (or TPI) because those induction systems fit much better under the hood than a traditional manifold and carb. My TBI does fit pretty well though and that is still a good option too... good luck.

Enovacek:

I have an 83 ZX conversion that I've been driving for about 18 months now, and am still elated. It is still not 100%, but part of that is by design. There are several very well done ZX conversions out there. Suggest you use the search function of this site to learn as much as possible. The JTR read/read/read/read suggetions are great advice even though some of it pertains to the "Z" only. The JTR manual gave me the confidence to take this project on, and for that it was worth several times the price. I posted a grocery list of piece/parts I used, and haven't changed much from the original. I have upgraded the springs, struts, went to a bigger cam, and am thinking about Nitros, but the original plan conceived from the JTR manual and help from guys on this forum worked very well for me. My grocery list was in a posting around May or June 01 and the topic was ZX SBC conversion using MSA mounts I believe. At any rate, I'd learn as much as I could and then start the budgeting/planning/part collecting process. Plan on suspension upgrades as part of the process, and do take a lot of pictures to reflect from time to time during the project from whence you came! Suggest you pay attention and mark the wiring harness as you disassemble. I used markers and put them in sandwich baggies wrapped with duct tape while I detailed the engine bay. Saved me a bunch of time on the other end. There are enough "learning curve" experiences here on the forum on various problems you will encounter that will save you a lot of time and frustration. Good luck.

Dan

I am finishing up my engine and tranny swap on my 80' ZX. I used a LT1 and T56 combonation. Like Greimann said the LT1 fits much better than a carbed engine plus there is a lot of power to start with! :D

It does cost more to begin with though because of the EFI engine but I think its worth it. I dont think there is as much hassel as far as the swap and mounting issues with the LT1 vs. a carbed 350.

Check out my site and you can see what I mean. I will be updating it this coming week with more pictures and some info on my first drive(exhaust is going to be done on Thursday next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :D:D

Guy

Guest ENovacek

You guys are great - what a confidence booster - thanks. I'm getting and reading everything I can (including the JTR manual) and can't wait to get started.