HybridZ

Update on the wankel power progress

auxilary

So, I scrapped the idea of rebuilding the rotary I bought for 300 bucks, because after doing some spec testing, and 4 out of 5 housings aren't useful, and it would cost about 400 bucks just to get replacement used housings in decent shape, plus 1000 bucks for a rotary rebuild kit. I figured, hey, if I'm spending that much already, I can just buy a 2 rotor cosmo block, sequential twin turbo with bigger ports and intake runners. Underrated at 230hp stock with lots of potential [blown apex seals! HAH!]

2774DSCF0051.jpg

This should be getting delivered next sunday.

I took some measurements of the motor, and of the engine bay. Looks like a secondary crossmember is inevitable, the transmission will be used from the old motor I bought, and it is 34.5" long from shifter to end of bellhousing., assiming transmission sits in stock location, which it will. I would actually like the motor to sit as far forward as possible, but even in that position, the motor will be BEHIND the strut towers. The motor mounts are located in the back of the motor, byt the flywheel, so I'll have to design and mount either tabs off the frame rails, or a crossmember to run between the two. This leaves plenty of clearance for the oilpan, and the motor with aluminum runners on the sides as pictured spans 26", while the Z's engine bay shows 30" between strut towers, so that gives more than necessary clearance. This should not interfere with brake MC, at least, I hope it won't.

The motor's turbos are located on the passenger side, so the battery will have to be relocated, probably somewhere to the FRONT of the motor, because I'll need more weight over the front wheels. This will leave more than necessary space for radiator and intercooler, which can probably be mounted behind the radiator rather than in front, with a black magic fan in the middle. The flow should be sufficient enough so that the air won't have enough time to heat up, and the intercooler should remain functional enough to do its job. I am probably wrong on this, but it's a thought.

The motor comes with a flashed "race" ecu, so this should get me going, the seller also has a wiring diagram, and the harness is not cut up, which is even better. Now I just need to learn to weld, get a welder, and a garage I can start doing this swap in. Oh, and that fuel delivery issue too :(

Guest POKINATCHA

Alright Aux! You're my hero! I am dying to try a rotary swap. My car is sitting in the empty garage with the engine out of it, and every time I walk by I start drooling over a rotary. I'm actually lucky enough to have access to welding equipment, so I might go track down and old Turbo 2 motor in the next week or so. So you don't think you'll have to fab mounts for the transmission, just the engine? That would be great. Let me know how its coming.

If you need a j-spec turbo2 motor, i can get you a guy who sells them. a used one in running condition will be about 900-1000 bucks, and that's with ECU, tranny, flywheel, harness, complete motor with accessories. i also have all upper/lower intake manifolds, injectors, fuel rail, and tps from an S4 j-spec motor. Also have a stock turbo, in very good condition, no shaft play, spins freely.

Guest POKINATCHA

Right on. Yeah, 900-1000 is the price I was quoted from some recyclers around here. That seems pretty cheap, considering the potential. I was planning on running a stand alone right away, since I know its in the near future anyway. I've also been eyeballing a new hybrid turbo. I've never actually sized a turbo for a rotary before, so I'm not totally positive about the displacement to use? Is the guy with the Turbo2 in the bay area also? I live in Central Cali, but I spend a couple weekends a month in Sacramento, so I might actually be able to cruise over and pick it up.

Guest POKINATCHA

Alright, I'll totally give him a call. I'll probably wait a week or so, because I want to make SURE that I have some welding equipment lined up before I buy a couple thousand dollars worth of rotary pieces with no way to make mounts. Thanks Alex.

On a turbo 2 motor, the motor mounts are tabbed off the intermediate housing in hte middle, so you're better off at mounting it. You might also want to look at going to a junkyard and pulling an FC crossmember (it's U shaped) . It might be easier to weld/bolt it to the frame rails than creating your own mounts.

Guest POKINATCHA

Thanks Aux, I didn't realize that there was a mounting difference with the Turbo 2. I just found out that the welder is definately a go, so I might go pursing a junkyard tomorrow. I'm getting excited.

Guest POKINATCHA

By the way Aux, what are your plans for your initial round of upgrades on the rotary? I was pretty much just planning on making sure the motor was within factory specs, getting a mild port job and a mid size single turbo with a decent intercooler. I haven't checked out the stock manifolding, so I'm not sure what exactly I'll do there. Oh, and I'm goint to go with a Haltech I believe. How drastic are you planning on going?

Guest POKINATCHA

Well, I spent the afternoon scrounging around the local Pick & Pull, and I found a complete Turbo 2 car. I'm going back in the morning to pull the motor, tranny, and front crossmember. I also came across some other turbo goodies lying around, so those'll be coming home. I haven't decided if I'm going to snag a T5 I found in a 280zx or not. Depends on my mood tomorrow, I guess.

Guest POKINATCHA

I ended up just taking the crossmember, I really didn't feel like inspectong the rotary in the dirt at about 100 degrees today. I also grabbed a TD-05H that was in real good condition. Anyway, I'll get around to test-fitting the crossmember later tonight or tomorrow, just to see what all I have to look forward to. Cheers