HybridZ

first STEALTH RAM DYNO results

http://www.chevytalk.org/forums/Forum12/HTML/000534.html

now remember this is PURE bone stock add a cam and headers, etc and the extra AIR/FUEL flow CFM of that STEALTH RAM will easily get you 100hp+ over a TPI intake with the same parts, got questions TALK TO DOUG,(one of HOLLEYS ENGINEERS ON THAT PROJECT) over at CHEVYTALK.COM tell him GRUMPYVETTE TOLD YOU TO ASK HIM, this intake is way better than most thats obvious, think how lousy a tunnel ram would work on a pure stock engine, the STEALTH RAM MADE 63 more hp on a stock engine! think about it!

_______ sr.jpg

keep the rubber side down and the fiberglass off the guard rails

Guest the_dj

That looks really sweet. However, seems to me a trip to Lowe's and a new air filter could accomplish the same thing on a Z. Would that work? I may have to try that. smile.gif

Edit: This brings "I've only done intake and exhaust" into a whole new light. 63hp? Almost sounds like the 5hp honda sticker phenomenon. I may have to see this one to fully believe it.

DJSS

Guest Anonymous

DJ, Google will find it. You just need to use a more specific search terms. I.E. "Holley Stealth Ram" should hook you up with what you looking for. I'm sure you probably know this but I posted just in case. I'm a unix geek so I use Google myself. Anyways, take care.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to pass some info.

The price at Summit for the lower and upper (unpolished) is 279.99 (7540)

The fuel rail kit which you need is 173.69 from Summit (534-185) Less than $500 total.

The results given are from the chassis dyno. A 1-2-3 gear pull (700R4) was done. The lowest rpm given was from the gear shift on (that is what it dropped to on the shift recovery). The 1st gear numbers were the same as the stock TPI (from a dead roll), but with converter, etc, I question that. If I had a 5 sp car I would pull from 1000 RPM. I posted what we had, not trying to hide anything.

This intake is not designed for someone that shifts at 4000 RPM and likes torque at 1400 RPM. If that is what you want, keep the stock TPI intake as that is what it is designed for.

Hope that helps.

[Modified by Doug Flynn, 10:06 AM 4/20/2002]

_______

Doug

1972 388 EFI Nova

flynnsefi

Here's a list of parts we used.

-Used a 85 Camaro Carbureted upper radiator hose (Dayco 71028) (trimmed the ends back)

- Use a std. small block Chevy waterneck (Mr. Gasket PN 2661)

-Two 1/4" x 1/8"NPT straight barb fittings (rear of intake, MAP sensor and other items, I run only one line to MAP)

-One 3/8" x 3/8" NPT straight barb fitting (rear of intake other vacuum items)

-One 3/8" x 3/8" NPT 90 deg. barb (goes under plenum, used for brake booster)

- 2 feet 1/4" vacuum hose

- 2 feet 3/8" vacuum hose

- (1) 5/16" compression fitting to -6 male AN

- (1) 3/8" compression fitting to -6 male AN

- (2) 3-1/2 foot -6 line with female hose ends. Goes from inlet and outlet to fuel stock fuel lines which are cut from underneath car, the two compression fittings are installed on the stock fuel line.

- (3) 1/4" vacuum plugs for EGR solenoid and throttle body

- (1) large clamp

All the vacuum ports are machined into the plenum. The current lowers don't have the late style center bolts machined, but I am getting future ones machined correctly to fit both. Can't say when for sure. Used the stock air inlet.

You lose EGR and we didn't hook the coolant to the throttle body. Need to use the small cap GM HEI. Coil mounted with stock bracket in stock location.

Didn't have to modify any wiring.

Hrm, what else is needed to go from carb other than ECU? Throttle cable, throttle body, injectors - anything else aside from air cleaner? I'm considering this over my yet to be converted carb intake smile.gif Need to call and check on that (sigh). Not cheap but not so bad when you price out the Miniram from TPIS. Think they'll finally drop the price? :rolleyes:

get an ECU and all the other parts (throttle body, brackets,injectors, sensors, etc. from a late model TPI WRECK in a salvage yard EITHER SPEED DENSITY OR MAF SYSTEMS WILL WORK BUT MAF SYSTEMS WILL WORK BETTER.MOST WRECKING/SALVAGE YARDS will allow you to take all those parts for under $300.00, Ive got a WHOLE TPI CORVETTE engine for $450.00 before so look around!

Look for whole cars also. I bought very lightly wrecked (just fender and headlight damage to drivers side) 305 TPI '86 WS-6 Trans AM for $1275. I pulled engine, TH700 trans, driveshaft, computer, wiring, MAF, filter and plumbing, radiator and electric fan. I sold what was left for $1000. If 3 of the GTA wheels weren't tweaked I could of got the whole $1275 back. I even drove the car for a couple of weeks. Ran darn good for a 305 I thought.