HybridZ

My Z - take a look at my paint job.

BQR280Z

Looks pretty good, Especially for a "shed" paint job. :wink: I personally couldn`t get away with painting in my own garage. Our local city counsel members are a bunch of pricks. :roll:

I really like the tailights too. Those would look sweet on my car.

Thanks Guys,

My son and I have had a great time building the Z. The hood is all steel and needed to clear the 390 Holley and the 1" thermal spacer and the 1/2" Nitrous block. The tail lights are trailer lights, available at Fleet Farm or any Automotive store. The surrounds are built-up stock Datsun, because I liked the look of the stock reverse lights. The tails are also LED's which came stock with flat lenses. I cut the flat lenses off and bonded on convex lenses from standard oval trailer lights. I agree the look is 67-68 Mustang, but I used to have a 67 Mustang GT-390 and always liked the rear end. If people don't notice the DATSUN on the windsheild they won't know what it is from the backend.

Hey Mat73GNZ, the temp plates suck, I got my new ones but I'm going to leave the temps till they expire. Because there is only ONE and the "man" won't give me any crap about no front plate.

Bill

your bumper gives me a great idea for getting rid of my front bumper. I'll cut the mounting tubes attached to the car by a couple of inches, fab a new bumper that will stretch as far out to the sides as i can make it go, then cover the hole and bumper with mesh screen of some sort. I wanted to lose the bumper since i got the car, but had concerns about safety.

Thanks for the inspiration. :-D

Guest Venture-Z

Where did you get, or how did you make that cold air intake. I have a holly as well and I really like the Idea of a cold air intake.

I started with a 6" chrome air cleaner, threw out the filter and bent-up a piece of 2.5" band iron into a circle that would fit inside the chrome top and bottom. Then took a peice of 3" exhaust pipe and ovalized it to fit on the side, some grinding, drilling, welding, and you have a snout for cold air intake. The rubber sections are 3" radiator hose from a Mack truck, some 3" tube, and cone filter.

Bill

• 7 months later...

I love the rear end of this car! The Mustang look is unmistakalble and you did a great job with trailer lights to achieve this look. Best looking rear taillight treatment other than original z lights IMHO! However, the front of the car isn't as pleasing as the rear, just my opinion. I think that maybe if the front bumper was a little longer it would flow better with the lines of the car.

But I can't be negative about your project because overall it looks very good. Especially for a garage paint job :D

Thanks Georgia Flash - You are right the front end doesn't flow like your fiberglass bumper setup. But my build was more about what I had to work with than spending a bunch extra. The entire project net cost is under $1000 with the paint and Nitrous. And the most important part of the project was that my 20 year old son learned that you don't always have to buy the "latest, greatest, most expensive" to have a cool car. I have plans to add a aero splitter to the front spoiler, I machined some brackets from aluminum billet and have the turn-buckles and hiem joints all set to go for it. But if the buyer whats it just the way it is, I'll save them for the 300ZX. Thanks for the feedback, it's always refreshing to converse with "real" Z people.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 007fastZ
And the most important part of the project was that my 20 year old son learned that you don't always have to buy the "latest, greatest, most expensive" to have a cool car.

You sound like my dad.

lol

Looks good though, Great Work

Chris

The paint system is Basecoat/Clearcoat. I primed the car in grey sealer/primer, then shot Viper Race Yellow over the whole vehicle. I covered the yellow with two full coats of clear, let it dry over night. Then taped it up for the stripes, shot the white, and buried it all in 4 more full coats of clear with heavy gold pearl added. 1.5 oz. of pearl to 6 quarts of activated clear, the effect is very metallic in direct sunlight, and it also softened the Viper Yellow just abit. The reason I shot clear over the full yellow was for taping reasons, the Fine Line striping tape comes off the smooth surface of the clear better than just raw basecoat. I didn't do any wet sanding, just a good carefull buff after about a month of drying time.

Bill