HybridZ

R200 from n/a Z32: Four specific questions

Guest the_dj

Guest the_dj

I did a search on the forum and have just the following four pretty specific questions now. :)

1. Is it LSD or VLSD or neither?

2. Do the internals (with LSD) of this diff bolt into my existing R200 diff, with the exception of the bushing needed for the ring gear bolt?

3. With RossC's CV adapters for a 280Z/R200, will I need to use special half shafts or can I keep my 280ZXT CV shafts installed as is?

4. If I can't bolt in the LSD section, can I at least bolt in the 4.08 gears with a simple install?

The carrier for a Z32 will fit into a old style housing with the exception as noted for the ring bolts. You will need the side stubs for it out of the Z32 because it is a viscous LSD and they are diffrent. The trick will to hook up the half shafts Ujoint or CV you will be on your own.

You will not be able to use the ring and pinion out of it to refit a old style housing as the pinion gear shaft is a diffent length (shorter).

Hope this helps

Don

I did a search on the forum and have just the following four pretty specific questions now. :)

1. Is it LSD or VLSD or neither?

2. Do the internals (with LSD) of this diff bolt into my existing R200 diff' date=' with the exception of the bushing needed for the ring gear bolt?

3. With RossC's CV adapters for a 280Z/R200, will I need to use special half shafts or can I keep my 280ZXT CV shafts installed as is?

4. If I can't bolt in the LSD section, can I at least bolt in the 4.08 gears with a simple install?[/quote']

1) VLSD

2)No, the pinion gear is much shorter in that diff.

3)This diff will not bolt into your car. It is an R200 but the carrier has different mounting holes and is much shorter than our R200 Units.

4)Nope, Pinion gear is shorter so you cannot bolt in the 4.08 gears. The corresponding pinion must be used. The LSD section will not work with your current ring gear because it has 12mm-14mm bolts instead of 10mm.

Sorry, I purchased one of these diffs and found out the hard way!

Guest the_dj

:hail: 240Z Turbo. I think that is the single most appreciated reply to one of my threads in HybridZ history!

I have one more question:

5) I know it will take fab work to bolt it in as a complete unit. Do you think it's reasonable to attempt this if I have the diff and the CV shafts? I would have some help from an experienced fabricator in this, but would it be attempting the impossible? (not asking for how to do it, just whether or not I'm asking for real trouble by swapping it in)

Thanks,

Sam