HybridZ

13btt swap for a 240z....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

has this ever been done? if so SOME ONE TELL ME, im looking into the engine seeing as i can get one off ebay for about 1500 with 5 speed tranny aswell, 300hp... weighs less than the stock L24, sexy isnt it, but ive heard that rotary engines consume more gas, and are alot harder to maintain, ANYONe KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND INFO ON THIS OR if you know how to do this kinda swap or i dunno anything remotely interesting conerning basicly anyhting in life will be appreciated

Guest Anonymous

I too would like to know about this swap. Cuz I want to put in a Bridge Ported (or maybe even a Periphrial Ported) 13B/20B into a 74 240/260Z.

But seeing as I own a RX7 I can help you out with the rotary info, a 13BT stock get about 17/23 (sity highway) as listed as teh EPA, and maintinance isn't that bad, you HAVE to make sure it has oil as the motor injects oil into the rotor housings to keep the apex seals lubricated. These motors are kinda expensive to rebuild, all the seals and springs and such cost about $900, they are easy as hell to rebuild though. And you never have any drivetrain to mess with. If you have the cash you would probably be better off getting a 13B-REW (these are the twin turbos that came with a 3rd gen RX7). Or maybe even a 3 rotor 20B, a turbo version of this can easily be made to push 500hp.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

It's possible, but it takes lots of work... the car I saw is a work in progress and it's already needed loads of fabrication. Where are you guys? If you're in AUS I can hook you up with the guys doing the swap.

My understanding of the rotary installation problems is that the eccentric (would be the crank in a piston motor) sits so high in relation to the transmission tunnel. Heightwise it would be equivalent to the flywheel bolting onto the back of the camshaft in a V8 from what I understand. The tunnel has to be cut out and fabricated to allow clearance for the high position needed for the transmission. Also raises cg. I would assume that this causes driveshaft alignment probs also, requiring alteration of the diff angle or repositioning the diff to fix.

Mazda trannies are not the most sturdy, according to a guy I worked with who is on a GT2 RX7 crew. He says they have lots of synchro issues, which is a bummer because the lure of the rotary is super high rpms, and the synchros can't handle that.

I don't know of a fix for the weak trannies, I think he said they just rebuild them a lot. If you get serious a call to Tri-Point or someone like that may be in order. I used to work near Tri-Point about 10 years ago and they were always putting rotaries in something weird, Bugeye Sprites, MG's, Lotus's, etc. If memory serves I think I saw a Datsun 1600 roadster in there once.

Also the exhaust is REALLY HOT. I wonder if you might be able to insulate or jet hot the whole system. I certainly wouldn't want rotary exhaust routed in the same place I've got my L6 exhaust run!

Jon Mortensen