HybridZ

Modern Motorsports rear disks update

Does the rear disk brake conversion change where the wheels mount in relation to OEM? I have Center Line 16X7" wheels with 0 offset and am running 225/50-16 Yokohama S306's. They will slightly rub on the fender well lip on hard bumps or heavy cornering. Nothing serious but the tires do rub. Maybe the disk brake conversion moves the tire mount slightly closer to the center of the car?

Just read a post somewhere else on this forum - reading too many posts here lately - offset for stock 240Z was 15mm. I personnally thought it wa 10mm but 15mm also would make sense. Offset moves the wheel toward the centerline of the car.

Guest 72datsun240z

i just now bought that kit and i noticed that it said stub axle removal is not necessery arew they talking about just cutting the damn thing ???? :?:

Guest ON3GO

well i have 240sx rear calipers and rotors. along with ross's bracket.

do i need anything else for the swap?

im also thinking of bigger rotors for the rear.

i wouldn't think bigger rotors would be better (i don't think you need more stopping power in the rear) but i have seen that stony is running the vented rear rotors from an 87 300zx. that would make a difference due to its cooling efficiency and fade characteristics.

Guest ShelbyZ

I'm using Ross's rear brake setup on my 73 240Z. By the way great kit Ross, thanks.

Rears are 16x9 -13 offset with no clearance problems.

Keep ZZZZZZZing,

ShelbyZ

Yeah the cutting off of the old brake backing plate is the most tedius thing about the swap. Yep bigger rotors wouldn't be better in my opinion. I mean damn the 300ZX rotors that come with the kit make it impossible to run a 15" wheel already! Besides they look great on the car why would you want anything bigger?

Guest Carrman

So the 300ZX rear rotors used with the 240SX calipers don't clear 15 inch rims? Hmmmmm, if that's the case I should stick with using the 280ZX stuff I have......

It did not clear the 15 inch 1991 factory 240SX rims that I have. It wasn't the front of the caliper that scrubbed it was the top. In other words I just couldn't fit a couple of washers on the hub and make it clear the caliper. It was the diameter of the wheel that was the problem.

The wheel went on the car fine, however, when I spun the tire it was growling and scrubbing so I took it back off. It had scratched away all the pretty blue paint that you see in the pic below.

It did not matter to me because those wheels were only going to be on my Z while it sat in the garage waiting on the V-8 to be installed. They were some that I had laying around from my wife's old 240SX.

By the way the 300ZX stuff looks awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ross, I am still waiting on the panasports to arrive :( Everytime that I call them they give me a new "they will be in on such and such date speech."

There is no rush though because the car doesn't move right now anyway. I also need to get that 20" piece of line fabbed so I have some time for that.