HybridZ

Ford Cobra Daytona kit pics

Heavy Z

Main question I have been trying to answer is about whether the Nalle & Puckett Daytona Cobra kits the same kit and design or totally different? Rumors I have heard about Puckett's design suggests to me that they may be totally different kits, but I have not confirmed that yet.

Photos of Tom Nalle's kit appeared in the Ben Millspaughs "Z Car Enthusiast" book back in the late eighties, to my recollection, but so far I have not verified when Puckett started selling his. Anyone know?

I am in contact with a Puckett Daytona kit owner that has not that many kind words for his experience with Puckett and his company, but so far I can not locate anyone that purchased a Nalle GT kit from Tom Nalle while he was officially in business.

flyer2.jpg

For those interested I have a pretty good quality photo copy of Puckett's asorted car body kit designs, sent in by Bill Aldridge posted at http://zparts.com/inprogress.html

Hey all,

It's been along time since I check this site. My friend just bought another Cobra from a guy in VA. Among us we have 5 of them now. They are all need alot of work. On 4 of them that my friend (Sang) bought all have rusty chasis and the fiber glass is seprating from the body. This is why I bought un unfinish kit from him. I want to make sure I do it right the first time. My project is coming very slowly.

SleekZ,

Sorry I didn't send you more pictures because I have no opportunity plus everyone been busy with work. Next time I will try to take more pictures and put them up on my web site. Here are a couple pictures for you guys to see http://vvu.tripod.com/cobraz/cobra1.jpg'>http://vvu.tripod.com/cobraz/cobra1.jpg This is Sang's cobra

http://vvu.tripod.com/carpix/cobra1.jpg'>http://vvu.tripod.com/carpix/cobra1.jpg This is Tin's Cobra

http://vvu.tripod.com/cobraz/cobrakit1.jpg'>http://vvu.tripod.com/cobraz/cobrakit1.jpg hehe and this is mine hehehe..

Acutally my kit is still sitting inside my friend's garage. I 've just acquired an LS1 motor from a C5 Vett and need help getting it into my 78Z. Can someone give me a hand? hehe.. I am in ther process of finishing up the spyderZX that I bought from John Washington and that's why my Cobra project is slow..

Later

Vinh

http://vvu.tripod.com

Funny how things come around. At least we know these rare kits are in the hands of someone who will maybe do something with them. The Zcar community, once broad, has become smaller thanks to the internet.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Speedmade

I was the winner of the auction for the Puckett Daytona kit on E-bay. I had it shipped and I finally unpacked it all this weekend.

It's a pretty complete kit. It looks bad because the glass flash was never trimmed but it's nice and thick.

I looked at the pics that VinhZX had in his post. The Puckett body kit looks far more accurate than those. It looks just like the brochure on the Zparts site.

If anyone knows of any other person that has a Puckett kit, could you help me get in contact with them? I am missing some items I would like to replicate. (Like the headlight covers)

Thanks,

Reed Herman

Guest Speedmade

I'm not an Aussie, just a upper midwest Minnesota guy. I imported and restored the Falcon and have driven it around for about three years. I got to like the RHD. So when I decided to build a new project I knew it had to be RHD. :roll:

So I found a Fairlady rotting in a field in Kentucky. I have no idea how a car from Japan ended up down there. :?:

My original plan was to build a GTO replica, but now I found this Daytona kit. :)

Reed H

Guest Speedmade

I have uploaded some pics of the nose, rear tub, and the cowl from my Puckett Coupe kit. Hopefully in a few days I can upload the door skins, spoilers, and other small items.

Reed H

Reed, I can't wait to see this assembled! Although I thing the GTO 250 is just a bit nicer, the Daytona Coupe is my second favorite body style - and I don't mean just to put on Zs - of all time!

Colors you're going to paint it?

Lexan windows?

Wheels? Some old school racing wheels would look great, or maybe some Mustang Bullit wheels?

Guest Speedmade

I will be using the wheels off of my Falcon on the Daytona. I have uploaded some pics of the Falcon in my personal gallery.

I plan to build a full tube frame. I am going to convert to double a-arm front suspension and a 9" ford live rear axle.

I also have a 351W with alloy cleveland heads stroked to 427 inches with a downdraft Weber set-up, converted to injection. Should be stupid fast.

Reed H

Reed,

If you are going to go that far off course from the original Z car based platform that the Puckett Daytona Cobra was originally designed for then I have just the right set of project photos to show you. Last year a guy showed up at a NCKCC kit car show with a custom tube chassis he designed and built specifically to accomodate a current day Corvette C5 or 6? suspension, engine, tranny and rear drive line.

The surprise was in the exterior he had planned for it. The guy had acquired a Z based Ferrari GTO style kit to fit over the tube chassis, but had discovered that it would not be wide encough to fit. His solution, at the time I photographed car, was to split the fiberglass body kit down the middle and add extra body panel work to allow the original GTO kit to straddle his tube creation. At the show, the body kit finish was still not complete, bu almost there. By now he may have it finished.

Pretty hairy creature, but one that looked like it would be an awesome looker with power and performance to blow most competition away.

I'll try to get some pics up for viewing at ZPARTS.COM this week.

btw, this builder is an acquantance of a rather famous car project builder on the internet that has actually been hand crafting an exact copy of a factory Daytona Cobra Coupe in his garage using a tube chassy and hand formed aluminum panels. According to his website 2 years ago, he was hand crafting every detail of an original Daytona race car to the last centimeter. Last photos I saw showed most of the hand formed aluminum body panels completed and temp reveted to chassis awaiting final weld up of seams. WOW, can you imagine the talent, work and dedication it would require to create something like that in aluminum? Think about that guy's challenges while you are working on your own project just to keep your spirits up.

btw, I replied to your email inquiry to me several days ago and wrote to the other Puckett kit owner with your requests, but it turns out that he built a Ferrari GTO kit from Puckett and not a Daytona Cobra kit. He's been notified of this thread and your new project and may comment in this thread later on if he has time.

Good luck with your interesting Daytona Project. Keep us well informed, Please.

Sleek Z

aka Eric Neyerlin - owner of ZPARTS.COM

Guest Speedmade

Vinh,

I paid $1700 for the kit and $600 to ship it to me. It is pretty complete, it's only missing a few parts.

I saw the pictures of your car. Who manufactured your kit? My kit looks very different than yours.

Reed H

Reed,

You got a good deal on the kit. I don't know who made my kit either. All I know is some guy from VA made it awhile back and he has passed away. I heard he'd made about 7 kits for the Zcar altogether but I am not sure that is true or not. The kit I got is complete also and I really didn't even check to see what is included. I paid 3500 for it. My friend has everything in his basement.

I can see yours and mine is very different. The back of your kit looks just like the original Cobra but the front is a bit different. The front of your kit looks like an earlier cobras. My kit will use the original trunk lid and it won't look like the original Cobra. I definitely like your rear piece better. Anyway good luck with it.

Vinh