HybridZ

What's the *worst* job you've ever done on your Z?

strotter

I just finished reinstalling the heater controls on a '72. It was fugly. I had to twist into positions I haven't twisted into since I got my first girlfriend. I'm sore all over. I was thinking "That job was horrible - but it wasn't as bad as replacing the suspension bushings ... now *that* was bad". But there are lots of jobs like that when you work on old cars. So I'm wondering...

What's the worst, most time-consuming, messiest, most painful, sweatiest, most frustrating, or just plain HORRIBLE job you've ever undertaken on your Z? Please be specific, I want *your* pain to make *my* pain feel better...

Guest the_dj

Heads cam on my engine for sure. The intake had to be redrilled for early style bolt holes, and we had to plane it with a belt sander for a whole weekend of work to get it to sit right on my heads. PITA!!! Whole job took over 2 months of weekend work (I was in school).

Worst "short" job was replacing the high pressure hardline on an '82 280ZX power steering pump. WOULD NOT GO INTO PLACE. 2 screws took 6 hours. :(

Not on my Z, but... Removing the brake booster out of a junkyard 280zx turbo. Took me over an hour of extremely contorted work. (the car was at a bad angle, 2' off the ground so it was impossible to find a good position)

The kicker was that I had intended to put it in my 240z and it didn't fit. :P

Guest ON3GO

crap!!!!!! I DOnt have a Torch, Air hammer, or Press and i need to instal my bushings..

but i gotta say take the dash out is a pain in the ass (the 1st time), and i hate wiring lol so anything with that is a pain in the ass.

Well you need a torch to cook out the some old cast in rubber bushings.

Then you need an air hammer to hammer out some of the old bushing shells.

And you dont need a press (less chance of trashing your parts) but it helps get out front arm shells.

If you find a way to get the rear arms in a press let me know :-D

Guest shauno_

I would have to say changing all the u-joints on the half shafts and the driveshaft.....holy crap! they just don't like to come out... I broke my vise..( i know it's not meant to be a press but i thought i would try it )

any more....???

• 2 weeks later...