HybridZ

Brainstorming a turbo motor build...suggestions welcome

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i know my way around a N/A motor but im thinking building a turbo would be a great learning experience. i have a spare turbo block and P90 head laying around and would like to build something with it. i dont need anything crazy, just reliable and reasonably priced. it would be just a street car with a little track time now and again and run on 91 pump gas.

i would like to see 250hp at the wheels if it wont cost an arm and a leg. so what i need to know is what manifold i should use for the turbo and should i bother with an intercooler? Also, what ECU should i use since i dont have one at this point. im thinking a 240sx 60mm TB unless there is something better suggested but what kind of turbo should i use for this project if i want a mid to high power curve. i dont know which way to go in all of this so asking those of you who HAVE built a turbo L28 is a nice place to start. also, what cam should i run? so many variables...N/A seems SO easy by comparison ha ha. in reading the archives, it seems there is no reason to push the block beyond 2.8liters for a turbo car under 400hp based on price and difficulty...is the the general concensis?

Sounds like you are on the right track. But let me say this - an intercooler is necessary.

Use any manifold you like, they will all work fine.

If you want 250hp and that's it, consider a Z31 turbo ECU, they are cheap and not too hard to install. You can then use stock injectors, upgraded pump and a good intercooler to get you 250hp. The injectors will not take you any further, then you may need a standalone unit.

And yes, the general consensus for the budget buildup is to use the stock 2.8 liter motor, valve cover to oil pan. It's much cheaper to get hp through boost than building a motor.

:?: so with this you meen rewiring it to a MAF? or just running an 300ecu, what benifits does it have? i have heard speculation before, but never found anyone with info...

so basicly what do i need for this swap? and what will it benifit me?

But to shine my light upon the initial q... you do not need a diffrent cam people can make as much as 400HP on stock turbo cams

i heard people with a good tuned 280ZXT who run a IC and aprox 12/15 psi rate in at 240/250 HP..

so basicly you need an IC, a device to control the boost, bigger TB, a good exhaust system ( free flowing) and bigger injectors/raised presure might do the trick, Ask Tyson he is running pretty stock, with a starion cooler and 10PSI of boost no injector upgrades sofar he ran 200 rwhp given you can safely run upto 14/15 psi of boost with a good IC setup you can reach 250

No radical mods there

i'm mating my huge IC on my car now and i'm aiming for the same, i'm also looking in to jeffp's 3' downpipe system

hope this helps

FRank

:?: so with this you meen rewiring it to a MAF? or just running an 300ecu' date=' what benifits does it have? i have heard speculation before, but never found anyone with info...

so basicly what do i need for this swap? and what will it benifit me?

FRank[/quote']

The Z31 ECU uses a MAF sensor. So, yes, it is part of the upgrade. The MAF has no significant flow restriction of the intake, like you know the flapper does. This system and the stock fuel injectors netted me 250hp to the wheels (calculated from ET and traps.) It can be done with the stock flapper and ZXT ECU, but you may need the SVO fuel injectors, like ScottyMIZ did, and you have drivability issues as it runs rich all the time.

A nice rebuild of the stock engine would be all you need. Run ARP rod bolts if you want, I like them, and that is the weak link if there is one in a nissan engine. Run a good quality intercooler, no Starion or volvo ones, and conmvert to the Z31 setup. Ran a 3 in mandrel bent exhaust, and you should be good to go. Run a nice hybrid turbo of V trim or H trim in T04b and 50 trim or larger in T04e and you will have all the power you can feed.

Just try to keep in mind one thing. POwer is addicting, and when you find out more power is available by raising the boost, you will want to. So do everything with expansion in mind. 250 won't be enough, trust me.