HybridZ

Visual difference in Nissan turbo and N/A pistons??

Guest Tim78zt

Guest Tim78zt

Looking at stock dished Nissan pistons, is there a visual difference between turbo and N/A? I've heard the top ringland is thicker on a turbo piston. Is it noticably thicker, or do I need to mic it to tell the difference?

Thanks for all your help!!

Tim78zt

There is also a difference in the ring thickness. I believe the turbo and flat top NA ZX pistons were 1.5 mm while the Z dished pistons were 2mm.

If the rings are still on them, the ZX and turbo ones have a layer of chrome on them that is visible, even with the ring removed.

Its on the ring, and if you look at the ring from the top, especially when it is off the piston, it is very distinct.

Chrome rings are the factory replacements, and are very durable, especially as far as running without in air filter. They are also hard to seal up if your cylinders aren't round. FWIW.

I'm not sure on this at all, but the turbo piston may well have drilled passages under the oil ring (stronger piston) vs the slots found on the na piston. I say this because that's how many of the Nissan factory high performance or "Euro-market" pistons differ from stock. The compression rings are different, so maybe you can look up the rings in an auto parts store catalog and hope they describe the difference, then compare to those you have. The difference in configuration will be on the underside of the rings. DAW

I just rebuilt a ZX turbo motor and can tell you that the turbo pistons have a thinner (1.5mm) top ring which helps make the top ring land thicker. The 2nd ring is 2mm like the NA's.

The stucture of the piston appears to be the same as the NA's otherwise,

although I have heard that the material of the turbo piston is a better material than the NA. I think I heard that the turbo pistons are "high density" castings? (but not forged).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Guest Tim78zt

Thanks everybody!

I finally found a N/A block with dished oistons. Pulled a piston and compared them yesterday evening. Looks like there are short vertical grooves cast into the skirt of the turbo(?) piston near the bottom of the piston that are not on the N/A piston I pulled. I can't spot any other visual differences.

I really appreciate your help!

Tim78zt

A turbo pistons top ring land is about .180" N/A is about .140". It's hard to get a good reading as the caliper doesn't fit into the ring grooves. I've seen 3 sets of turbo pistons and they all say P90 in the center of the dish. Don't know about material differences but the extra .040" on the top ring land is reason enought to use them.