HybridZ

How to calculate 0-60 times from a 1/4 mile run?

Heavy Z

Guest Your Car is Slow

Mathmatical calculations used to speculate a cars performance are unreliable at best.

Funny things happen on the street...not to mention even if you could measure your 0 - 60 time on the track....the difference in traction you experience would negate the accuracy.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Still thats a calculated guess...how do you tell how fast you are really going? Do a burnout and you could hit 60mph (registered by the computer) in less than a second or two.

I'm not sure you understand... the computer that is measuring these times isn't on board the car, it is at the track. It is a stationary system of lasers or what-have-you that uses timers and optical triggers to tell how fast your car gets from point A to point B...

So regardless of how fast you are spinning your tires, it can be measured accurately using this method.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Earlier he said he compared it to the info in his datalogger (im pretty sure thats onboard his car).

Im just trying to figure out how you compare the math to the actual.

Scottie said that he has compared his on board computer, datalogger, to the tracks time slips and using his formula the two compare to within 100ths of seconds. So the math to actual is very accurate. Oh BTW I can attest to the fact that Scottie is not spinning so the computer is not getting a false reading. You don't run 10.30's and spin the tires.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Understood....just never did much believe in "bench racing". What it should run..and what it does run are two very different things.

You don't run 10.30's and spin the tires.

I beg to differ :D

I think the point being made here is by using an actual time slip you have an ACTUAL, real world, 0-60 time; albeit on the strip. I have an excel file that does it, but I can't post that. Be happy to email it to anyone though, or do some calculations.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
What is the conversion formula for doing this?

Thanks. :cheers:

As far as I can tell this would be impossible.

Your 0-60 time and 1/4 time are completely unrelated.

For (extreme) example:

~If you had a car that maxed out at 60 cuz it's gearing was really low, you could hit 0-60 in 3 seconds and have a really crappy 1/4 time

~If you had a car that ran the 1/4 really fast (10 seconds) but didnt pull fast until after 60 mph then your 0-60 could be 6 or 7 seconds

~You could also have a car go 0-60 really fast and keep on pulling and have a scoarching 1/4 time (like my Z will) :wink:

Maybe I did ot make my myself clear enough. I said nothing about comparing 0-60 to a 1/4-mile. By inputting your 60', 300' and 1/8 times, the fomula plots an acceleration curve which then determines the 60mph point on that curve. I have seen some on the web that ask for just the 60' time and that puzzles me because the average car is no where close to 60mp at the 60' mark so they are taking an educated guess at what happens beyond the 60' mark. I hit about 42mph at the 60' but things could happen to make the 60mph time not so predictable. The reason why the formula uses times up to the 1/8-mile to take into account all the variances. It does not go beyond the 1/8-mile because acceleraion starts falling off.

As for the comparison I mentioned, Jeff is dead on. Just like a G-tech, my datalogger records time/speed/distance. Many of the formulas on the web are very good at their projections. Here is one of my favorites:

http://www.prestage.com/Car+Math/ET+and+Horsepower+Calculators/Calculate+ET+and+MPH+using+HP+and+Weight+/default.aspx

I plugged in 2750lbs and 488rwhp and here is what it projected compared to what the car actually ran in parens:

ET - 10.36 (10.36)

MPH - 131.57 (131.75)

1/8 - 6.60 (6.62)

1/8 MPH - 106.27 (104.34)

Now, here is a perfect example of why I do not like most formulas on the web that take only a single input. This one estimates 0-60 by using your 1/8 ET and MPH. In my case it said 2.19. You can input your 0-60 time for it to estimate you 1/4-mile and the my result was 8.548!!

http://www.tweak3d.net/videos/calcs.shtml

Thanks for all the input, I originally posted because I remembered Scottie included his 0-60 calculations with his 10.36 1/4 video post and so I figured there's a way of approximating this stat. My intent was to get a ballpark idea from 1/4 mile figures since I don't have another way of determining 0-60 times right now.

Anyone who wants to try out the formula can download the spreadsheet and play with it. Obviously you need Microsoft Excel and a timeslip. Plug in your 60', 330' 660' and 1000' values in cells F11-F14. It will generate new values in the "Y=" formula in the shaded area. Put the value of the 2 coefficients in cells B11 and B12 and it will generate the 0-60 time in cell B14. Before you use it, look at the example and remember not to input in the red cells.

http://www.turbobuicks.com/members/scottiegnz/accel060.xls