HybridZ

doing my suspension... what else would be needed..tools etc.

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys,

im now taking apart my Z to install the following parts.

Modern Motorsports coil-overs.

Tokico Illumina struts.

Energy Suspension bushings.

silvia/240sx rear brakes.

Modern Motorsports rear brake mounts.

Wilwood calipers and rotors up front.

280zx turbo clutch master cyld, release bearing, slave cyld.

anybody know what else i should buy that i should replace or that would be worth doing while im down there?

Ross said he was sending me bump stops but i havent heard back from him.

im also looking for the Stainless steel brake lines for my brake upgrade but i cant find anything at all.

also does anybody have ideas that make putting these parts in easier and etc.

any tools i need to put these parts in and also take the parts im replaceing off?

lol really any info would be great.

Thanks guys

any tools i need to put these parts in and also take the parts im replaceing off?

You are going to need a pickle fork to seperate the ball joints, spring compressors, spindle pin puller and of course air tools make the job much easier. I just pulled my suspension apart last weekend and it can be quite a job without the correct tools. A vice on a work bench is always a big help as well.

Guest ON3GO

oh im sorry i must have not read it right or something.. my bad.

will they be shorten already like u said is good tohave, or will i need to do it?

Just send me a email or PM on how much it is and etc.

thanks man.

I do have a question.

with ur rear brake brackets i bought. can i use the 240sx stock rotors also? or no? cuz if not ill have to look for upgraded vented rear rotors.

thanks

Mike

I did my first dozen or more struts with spring compressors to disassemble prior to coilovers etc....then a bud I trust said he's just undone the tops on Z struts with minimal 'spring' on release......I've since done at least a dozen or more struts just using my heavy impact gun on the end (ie. no spring compressors), with strut lying flat on the ground and a small sheet of plywood laying on top of the rest of the strut just for a precautionary shield with one of my feet on top of the board..... And I generally place a 4x6 chunk behind my impact to minimize the kickback...strut top jumps off and rolls a foot or two at most with NOTHING dangerous happening. This on 240Z/280Z and 280ZX struts. I'm sure some other vehicle models have far higher spring preload stresses locked in but so far the used Z units have been easily taken apart without compressors, a very handy tip if it's something you do reasonably often :D Goes from a 20 minute job/pair with compressors and air to a 5 minute job without compressors if that.

YMMV

You dont even need to go through that much trouble releasing a spring from a strut assembly. IF the strut you are replacing is shot, you can take a vice grip, lock it down on the shaft, place the assembly on the ground so the vice grip cant rotate, throw a blanket over the assembly, straddle the assembly, and then release the nut. Nothing flys anywhere and everything stays under the blanket.

I have released them before without a spring compressor but it sounds like this is his first one and I was just trying to be safe. Good tips on the plywood and blanket / vice grip methods though.