HybridZ

Turbo vs Stroker? whats better?

Guest Lordbiotree

Guest Lordbiotree

I'm looking into buying either a highly tuned stroker or Turbo (even twin turbo). Which one is capable of the most Horse Power?

I figure a stroker will produce more go power off the line rather than waiting for the turbo's to spool up. I'm leaning more towards a stroker and thoughts?

It'll be going into my old 71 parts car. She's ready to handle major power (new stronger solid rails). I've replaced the gas tank with one from a 78Z and ran bigger fuel lines. She'll see some track time when able to.

Thanx in advance for all your advice

-Brandon

Turbo will kick the stroker's tail from the start to the finish. My motor is still stock, with turbo upgrade and intercooler, and I am just about to start turning up the boost with a bigger fuel system. I am putting down 250+ to the wheels, according to my time slips (2800lb, 108 traps). Turbo L28s have dyno'd 400+ hp to the wheels, and the best strokers have yet to crack 300.

so should I go with a 3.1 stroker with 7:1 compreshion and twin turbo. Where would be the best place to buy the engine?

If you really want to spend money, that's how to do it. 7:1 is a bit low - the 400+ turbo stroker L28s are running 8:1 to 8.5:1 or so. If you are new to this, I'd recommend starting with a stock L28ET - you can build a stroker out of it later once you get a taste of the turbo thing.

Guest Lordbiotree

I am fare from new. I own 3 240-Z cars. I am willing to spend the big $$$. I really want to get advice from people in the know. I would like to buy a stroker/turbo with triple Webber's running 2.25 exhaust. I'm leaning more towards a stroker and building a supercharger. I'm just afraid of frying my engine.

Any thoughts? Where to buy? rebello racing wants 5K. Thax for advice.

-Brandon

If you are not going to build the motor yourself, you are better off going to the well-known builders to get it - you will get what you pay for.

Are you serious about running carbs with a turbo?? You don't seem afraid of spending money, do it right with fuel injection. And if you are worrried about blowing the motor, do some more lurking here and elsewhere (but there is good info on this site), and you will find out a turbo is very safe when done right.

Guest Lordbiotree

I plan on getting a Well-known builder to build the engine for me. I rather instal the engine and handle and cutting/mods I have to do.

I rather run cars due to the fact I love the sound of triple Webber's running straight exhaust.

I'm also looking into the RB26dett

-Brandon

I think you need to do some more research on turbo's before you get too gung-ho into running a triple carb setup with a turbo. I suggest looking around this forum and possibly getting the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. Its a good place to start.

You won't get the same sound at all from a turbo'd car that you would with a triple setup, turbo or not. The turbo will totally change the exhaust note, and regardless of how you do the turbo, the carb throats won't be open to give you the sound that they would on a NA car. (Because you'll have a plenum there, and if you are doing it right, an intercooler, piping, turbo, and then open to atmosphere) Also, the more you research, the more you will see that turbo's+carb's=bad idea. There are many inherent problems with them, and certainly a lot of people on this board have tried them at some point. I've never heard of anyone that ran a carb setup with a turbo and liked it when compared with an EFI setup. EFI is the ONLY way to go if you ask me.

As for the turbo stroker, I wouldn't bother. Its a lot of extra money, and unless you are planning on getting every ounce of power you can out of an engine, then your money is probably better spent on a better intercooler, turbo, efi, exhaust, etc.

Guest Lordbiotree

OK Turbo&carbs very bad idea.

I should start with a 1982 Turbo,T-5 tranny,T-3 turbo, ECU and work my way up?

I like the RB series. I see em' on Ebay for 2.5K all the time. I know it'll be one hella of a job to get it in there and make sure things don't bust. Just some thoughts

Thanx for the advice,

-Brandon

71 240Z series I

70 240Z all stock never been original

71 240Z-old parts car/project car now

Well you need to decide what engine you are going to run first of all. The RB engines are nice, and make lots of power, but how available are the parts?

Whatever you do, to make big power, you need big fuel injectors, and something to control them, and a stand alone is the best way to do that.

Spend the money on good parts too, you need a good intercooler, a good turbo, mandrel bent exhaust, fuel pump, etc. Its not cheap. You could easily spend the 5k you want to drop on the motor on the hard parts to support it.

The best thing you can do is figure out what your goals are hp wise, and then see how is the best way to get there. If you only want 400hp, you don't need a stroker to get there, in fact, you can get there on a basically stock engine with good engine management and a big turbo. Getting beyond that is more difficult, and right now there are maybe 3 or 4 people on this board making more.

It gets way more expensive, and you reach the limits of transmissions, so other alternatives have to be explored.

I don't want to bust your bubble, but you need to be able to do alot of the work yourself, or it is going to be an expensive labor bill for your assembly person.

Guest Lordbiotree

Thanx a lot,

I'm going to buy a running 82ZXT switch everything over.

Once running properly then I'm going to start upgrading.

Thanx for all the help,

-Brandon