HybridZ

running into problems... maybe..

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys.

my Z is under going its hybridZ ways as its being stripped of its interior, and all the suspension being taken off. my tranny sits all cleaned and even abit polished, and my drive shaft is under going a black paint job tomorrow. I started to mount my boost controller and powermeter i-D to its new custom spot on the dash. now my suspension is like 98% as in having the parts, so its time to start on the motor.. thing is im really on a tight tigh budget as i have to buy rims and the panasport C8's i wanted cant be used for street use so im going to get CCW wheels in 16x8 front and 16x9 rear. these wheels are taking alot out of my bank so i cant do alot like i wanted to.

But areas i wanted to get help in was a intercooler. i want to get one that i wont need to upgrade when i start to really make my HP goal (350+RWHP). and i am taking you guys advise about the intercooler going up to down instead of the side to side cores. But where do i find these intercoolers.. like i said im on a budget but i dont want to buy crap. im looking for something 20x12x3.5 as i was told thats a perfect size for a Z going for my hp goals. Also should i consider any other cheap ways to make power out of this L28ET on a budget? remember only pump gas and has to be super strong as its my only car that i drive everyday, and will be driven in hot traffic alot!

thanks

Mike,

why don't you put the wheels on the backburner and focus on getting the car running? Pick up a set of Swastikas in the interim and you can always resell those when you are ready for the expensive wheels. How much of a rush are you in for a quality I/C? I might be able to help you there but we have to wait for Z-Gad to return from his long vacation.

Drop me an email or PM or if you have time to spare or take a ride over to Orlando for a visit.

Guest ON3GO

reason for the rims now is because i needa 16in rim or bigger to fit my brakes that i have. i have alomost everything for my suspension and etc and was gonna do all this at one time. need to get the car driveable to go anywhere :)... also the car has no brakes right now at all :(

im not really much in a rush right now.. heck if i can wait abit to save some money on a nice intercooler im down for that.

I WOULD LOVE to come and see your cars and meet you guys... i might stand out as im the 20 year old punk :)

thanks for the help guys.

Here is my take on intercoolers. If you run a huge turbo, say a T series, a side to side makes more sense, since it is more efficient, but the turbo can easily make up for the pressure drop without going outside its efficiency range.

On smaller turbo's, like a hybrid a top to bottom makes more sense since it has far less pressure drop, so you can keep the turbo closer to its efficiency range.

The longer your tubes, the more effiecient, and the more pressure drop. The ideal situation would be to have a bunch of short tubes.

I have a Spearco 2-221, which is a top to bottom, 18.5x6x3.5 with 2.5 in inlets and outlets on the same side, although you can get one with in and outs on opposite sides. It is supposed to flow 1050cfm at 1.5 psi of pressure drop. It is a good unit, and I like it.

I have not seen alot of them on Ebay, but I bought mine fro Topend for around 550 bucks new, I made them match price on one of the DSM sites.

Road Race Engineering also has a griffin that is roughly the same, the core is a lilttle different, and it is less money, but also a pretty good unit.

I think Bell Engineering can make you one any length you like, and theirs are good also.

Its really up to you. I chose the spearco.

Guest ON3GO

ill contact those companys. THANKS!

and on the side note.. na i dont act like a punk at all. im more shy then anything.. clean cut too :D

So now that you've started taking the Z apart does the Corvette still fit in the garage? :D

If you haven't removed the spindle pins yet I bought a puller and it came in yesterday so you are welcome to borrow it. Of course that means you'll need to take a road trip to Orlando like Scottie suggested.

Guest ON3GO

yeah vette still has room in the garage at night to sleep in. theres not much room on the drivers side but ill try and deal with it.

no i havent done that yet, and thank you on the offer, i might take u up on that.

quick question what type of metal is the 280ZX n/a tranny case?

thanks