HybridZ

Weight of Rear Hatch? Glass vs Hatch

Guest Your Car is Slow

Guest Your Car is Slow

Just from holding it up (the damn shock is toast) this rear hatch is obscenely heavy for what it does :)

Out of pure curiosity...how much of that weight is the glass...and how much is the hatch itself?

The defroster doesnt work anyway....a plexi or lexan replacement would be simple enough if the glass is the majority weight.

I don't know the individual wts of glass vs hatch but the hatch without glass seems very heavy. A fiberglass hatch with Lexan would be a far better overall investment in wt savings than fiberglass fenders or even the hood. The door shells are also very heavy. DAW

Just a wild guess, but since I pulled the galss out of my hatch to do bodywork, I think the glass weighs 80% of the glass/hatch combo, and I am not exaggerating. That hatch, even with the spoiler on it, is wayy light. I bet no more than 15 pounds. The glass is hellava heavy.

If you want to save weight, leave the hatch and get rid of the glass (lexan etc).

Tim

I agree with Tim on this one. the hatch is feather lite without the glass. if you want to go way-cool on your car, spirit garage in JP sells a carbon fiber hatch that weighs in at 10 pounds! of course....it costs and arm and a leg...then just try to ship that thing!

but yeah, the glass is the majority of the weight.

Guest Your Car is Slow

So being that lexan weighs 1/3 of glass...thats an easy way to shave 12 or so lbs :D

Wonder if one could fab up some different brackets if they weigh that frikkin much.

Drax,

I ditched that monstrosity a while back and now have a temporary stock hatch. I was hoping Les Heath would come through with his promise on a fiberglass hatch, but.........

If anyone in my area is going to do a Lexan hatch glass, let me know as I might be interested in getting one also.

Guest Your Car is Slow

They sell lexan at home depot....I was going to swing by there and get a sheet. Shouldnt be difficult to trace the dimensions of the stock glass and cut it out. Its a very subtle bend.

You have any ideas for new brackets? :)

Drax,

you are taxing my memory for something I want to forget :D If I recall it was something like 52 or 55lbs. It would not stay up with 2 shocks so I had to carry a shortened broomstick. The brackets eventually started seperating from the hatch itself and I put it and myself out of its misery. Actually my wife is the one that forced the issue on getting rid of it because she personally hated that hatch. One day she was loading stuff in the rear and accidentally hit the broomstick and the hatch came down on her face. Left her with a permanent scar on her upper lip and a new scar on my ass every time she brings it up :D

Imagine the scene when I rushed her into the emergency room with her holding her face and both of us drenched in blood. "Mr Scott, you got some 'splaining to do".

• 3 weeks later...