HybridZ

need help with some suspension/brake parts.. ideas?

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys.. for the life of me i cant take the brake lines off the calipers and other places.. and the bolts that like hold my struts and springs. well those bolts wont move for the life of them. any ideas?

any easier and faster ways to take off the front suspension parts?

also does anybody no what ft lbs i need to tq down the bolts on the suspension parts and etc? hell even specs for all bolts on the car.

also does anybody have any picture by picture install for coilovers and stuts and etc? im lost on that.

damn bushing kit is a killer too.

thanks

Two words, "Air Tools"

I know I would have never gotten my suspension apart without an impact gun. There are also special open end wrenches made for taking off the brakes lines as well. A normal open end wrench will round off the flare nut many times. If you have already rounded it off then a pair of vice grips is you only hope. Of course you will then need to replace the brake lines which is not always a bad thing on cars this old.

I know this can be frustrating and if you would like someone to speak with about this and future problems then send me an email and I will give you my cell number so that you can get in touch with me.

Guest ON3GO

yeah im getting new brake lines so i just cut the old lines lol.

i bought a impact gun today but some of these damn nuts and bolts are really rusted on there.

i got the front struts and etc off.. now just gotta take other things off and paint them...

ill never get done by end of september :(

Guest ON3GO

some pics.

im gonna clean and paint everything but i gotta cover this so it doesnt get any paint on it... not sure if it would matter or not but still.

album_pic.php?pic_id=1290

i dont think i can use this anymore sense im putting on my big brakes and etc... am i right?

album_pic.php?pic_id=1289

im gonna have to get these new.. where though? somebody before me i guess drilled a hole in it so the knock off spinners for the rims could fit..

im also gonna have to get new bearings... anybody have a good place for me to get them from..

album_pic.php?pic_id=1288

thanks guys

ill never get done by end of september :(

Don't get discouraged. My suggestion would be to tackle one task at a time so that it doesn't become overwhelming. When you finish one task move on to the next so that you get a feeling of accomplishmnet and this should help keep you motivated. Good luck with it!!

Guest ON3GO

oh im trying. its just hard to get that feeling because im leaving pretty soon and i still dont have a rear end or motor, clutch, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.. oh and one more ETC. hehe.

tomorrow maybe ill get done with maybe half the front done.. its hard for me because im learning everything as i do it. and im finding out more more that i keep needing other parts and money is low... :(

thanks for the kind words

.. its hard for me because im learning everything as i do it.

I'm 40 years old and have been working on cars since my frist car a 1970 Cutlass when I was 16. With that said I'm still learning as well so keep your chin up.

I know this might be hard to swallow but you may consider holding off on the motor swap until later. In my mind that is the stumbling block for a September completion. If you get the suspension, brakes, transmission, rear end and interior complete then you will have a good foundation in place for the motor swap. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it is just a thought. It is also the thought behind not tearing too much apart at the time. If you limit yourself to completeing specific tasks at a time then hopefully you will have a driveable car come September, even if that means that the turbo motor isn't in yet. Again, just food for thought.

For brake fittings:

Get a cheap flare nut wrench.

Cut the end off.

Grind notches along the outside.

Slide the end onto the brake fitting.

Clamp flare nut wrench end in a Vise Grip.

Crank away.

Most flare nut wrenches will open up when you put a lot of pressure on them. Craftsman are especially bad IMO.

This is just basically using the Vise Grip to hold the flare nut wrench closed. Then you can put quite a bit more force on the end without it spreading open.

I don't remember where I heard this, but it works!

Jon Mortensen