HybridZ

Edelbrock Throttle Response

I have three problems with an Edelbrock performer 1406 carb that have me strumped.

1. Throttle response off-idle is good until the engine gets good and hot. Once running for about 20 minutes the off-idle response becomes sluggish (not a bog). Advancing the timing helps a little, but I don't think that is the problem.

2. Engine quits sometimes after about five miles. Let it sit a few minutes and then it starts up, goes about a mile and then quits. I took the top off of the carb and found the float bowels about half full when it quit last time.

3. Engine quits after hitting a bump, on hard turns and hard stops. One Hybrid member suggested that I install an Edelbrock spring loaded needle valve kit which worked for him. I am going to do this next week.

I have rebuilt the carb once and cleaned it three times. On the first cleaning I did find small bits of rubber in the needle valve screens.

Thanks

Miles

Guest greimann

For your #2 problem, my bet is trapped heat is boiling the fuel in the bowls. A brief cool down stops it, but a re-start just heats things up again. I had this problem with my ZX. Solved it with FI, (not the answer you were looking for I'm sure).

Guest greimann

Vent the heat with a grill or cowel, or maybe an auxiliary fan. Try driving around with the hood popped open a bit first to see if that cures it.

What can I do if fuel is boiling in the bowels?

Thanks

Miles

If you have a machanical fuel pump, try swapping it with a electric one. And mount it in the back. Away from the hot engine bay area. I think all three problems are fuel/vaporlock related.

I had the same prblem with my 383 Vette.

Guest cbrunberg

Start with simple stuff like your fuel filter and fuel pressure. It would probably help if you ran your fuel line away from heat sources and covered the fuel line with insulation and finally vent the hood. I like the idea of running with the hood popped. Or maybe check first thing in the morning when it's cool out.

Scarab found their early cars had severe heat build up under the hood. That's why the scarab's had the vented hood (see my gallery) I'm not a big fan of the look but the design works. This one was on the car when I bought it. The previous owner had it with a turbo 6. I'll probablly change it for a cowl induction or '69-'70 Mercury type scope.

The insulation was standard on my 260z that should tell you something about the design of this engine compartment.

You can pick it up at almost any chain auto parts store.

Lastly I've seen a lot of race cars with an aluminum carb. base plate heat shield

Carl