HybridZ

240Z replacement weatherstrip experiences so far

Owen

1. The Too Intense Restorations doesn't have the same number of pieces as the Precision kit on does. Notably, mine doesn't have the rubber piece that sits on the door where it closes in behind the front fender.

2. Qtr window/inner strip. Too big! Some corners were ground off, etc but the damn window frame just won't align any more. Ended up putting the 30-year old ones back in...

3. Qtr window/outer strip. Too big again! Had to shave it down and then LEAN on it (fearing I would break it) just to get the holes to almost line up. Ended up slotting the holes slightly to be able to pull it in towards the body.

Also, even though the window is up against the frame like it should be, for some reason it's sticking out a LOT more than before!

Next up, door weatherstrips, this ain't gonna be fun!

:twisted::evil::twisted:

Owen

Have to wait untl the car is painted to install, but I did loosely install the main hatch seal and the rubber is nice and soft and supple and the fit was perfect.

Hope that helps...the quality 'appears' top be excellent.

Tim

I installed the MSA door weather strip (part# 311064A & 311075A) yesterday and I can’t close the door!! If I slam it real hard (I mean REAL hard!) I can make it lock on the first detent. But the side widow frame bulges outwards. The rubber seams to be way to stiff. Anyone else hade the same problem? How did you solve it?

ThomaZ

Thanks for the advice, SPIIRIT. I have both a heat gun and a Wen-Gun type soldering iron. The method you describe is the same as we use when cutting wing foam cores for Radio Controlled aircraft models. (An other hobby). I will try on some scrap weather strip first.

I also need to look at the door adjustment. My -72 240Z did not have any door weather strip in when I bough it. The previous owner removed and scraped them, then ordered new ones that newer showed up.

I must learn to use the Search function better. A specially before ordering something. :oops:

Good point, Owen, I will go easy on the door slamming. The MSA weather strip is not a loop. You can see a photo of it in picture #35 in my photo album: http://photos.yahoo.com/bearcatf8f2002 The other weather strip on the photo are for the rear hatch, inner and outer seal.

I let you know if and how I solve this.

ThomaZ

I will be needing this stuff too as all of mine is currently gone! Boy the things I have learned on this project.

#1 Never strip a car down to the bare essentuals unless you know what you are doing and what you are getting into!

I thought it would be best to do this so I went about tearing out the interior and all the old rubber. The only prblem is now I have to put it all back together and that means buying new rubber. Which now I am starting to see that it will not be as simple as I first thought.

Advise to newbies, start slow and keep the car intact! Replace things as need be and when the time comes to do so. Do not under any circumstances rip everything out and expect to have it back together any time soon! :evil:

I half-agree, the other way to do it would be the "while I'm at it" syndrome. Somethings are easier to do while everything else is in pieces, such as removing the dash, etc.

Oh, yeah, what I learned from Tim240Z, the Precision kit has metal clips in the rubber for the door-strips, the Too Intense one doesn't...

Owen

Doing mine piece-meal, no kit. I did the doors using a tip from someone here: Got some samples of various types of stripping from jcwhitney. Found some "slip on" door weather seal, ordered 2 rools - waaaay cheap. It kind of clips onto the door. I suppose it could also be glued. My theory was that at some point I will want to remove it all for painting anyway. This stuff made the door hard to close for the first 15-20 times, but after that it was fine. Door glass frame used to get sucked out at high speeds and generally there was always lots of wind noise, etc. Not no more. Nice and tight.

I have no part numbers handy. Also, slackard that I am, I lost the assortment of samples - I know one of them would work as a hatch seal. Guess I gotta go back to step one.

Anyway, if anyone does go this route, one tip - measure the amount you need, and then add at least an inch and a half. I kept only a half inch extra. Over time (been on there a year now), it will shrink a bit and now I have a nice one inch gap at the corner. Oops.