HybridZ

Overboost....

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I never had any respect for the word. Now I can define it. What a weekend, after months of planning and never having the right situation I made it to the track. Not on slicks so I didn’t bother filling the bottle, but on a clever Hoosier tire combination. That was able to get the car out of the whole and hanging hard with a 96 Z28 on the juice. Everything was fine blasted a wicked hole shot even though the tires where blazing, 14psi and accelerating steady. But come on fourteen pounds? Knowing that all I have to do is push that button to zoom 19psi, I didn’t last long. I engage hi-boost and sat back to truly push this puppy and **** off to the Chevy. But it didn’t, and when I looked at the boost gauge OVERBOOST! Can you say off the Autometer? And I was off the button too late. The well over heated, time and time again, factory no less than 189K original 83 L28T, had a busted Fel-Pro headgasket. Pushing coolant into the exhaust and oh yes my race was over. But after letting it cool and hardly any observation, this thing was running and happy as long as it didn’t go over 14psi. Thank god rain canceled any reckless thought about seeing how fast I can go with a hurt motor. But overall that first test pass on this combination was a wealth of knowledge and “I’ll be back”. My aborted pass was a 13.41 @ 86mph with a 1.9 short time, from my girlfriend’s recollections. Oh and the Camaro gave me an ass whopping high 11 second pass. I’ll get this thing straight and an update will come. Zya.

Alex C

I had mine running a nice 17 psi and had some yo boy in a honda want some, so I popped it down into 4th and hammered it, shifted to 5th, and woooweeee, 24 psi.

Good thing I had some race gas in the tank, otherwise I am sure I would be replacing something.

I haven't broken anything on a turbo engine yet, but I broke rings and pistons consistently on NA motors. I guess they don't appreciate being launched at 6k with stock parts. :lol: