HybridZ

Z Therapy SU vs MSA SU Rebuilt Carbs

Miles

I bought a set of carbs from ZTherapy just before Scott sold it--I don't know what exactly MSA is selling, but the ZT carbs are not mere rebuilds--there are some mods done for reliability:

new throttle shafts

bearings for shaft

stuff like that--chances are the MSA ones still have the old bushings in them.

When I bought mine, I actually bought just the main carb bodies, and swapped over the rest of my parts--but they worked just great.

A friend of mine bought one of the early sets from ZT (set #12, to be exact) and we were able to bolt em on and start it as soon as the fuel bowls filled up--a few minor mixture tweaks and they were working great.

IMHO, buy the ZT carbs--don't think you can go wrong with 'em

According to MSA, their carbs have new throttle shafts and bushings. The bushings are suppose to be upgraded units that won't wear out and leak like the original units. MSA does want your old carbs as trade ins.

It is quite possible both companies get their carbs rebuilt at the same place. So Jimzdat's advice sounds good to me.

When my SU's wore out I ended up with a set of dual downdraft Webers for the same price as rebuilt SU's. The Webers have some advantages, but in all I wish I had rebuilt the SU's instead.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NorCalZ

I called MSA asking about their carbs and they said that they actually send them to z therapy. And he directed me to them for my demand on an oil damper stick which I never got the right one. But still the business was good. BTW do any of you have oil damper stick to some SU that is a little bigger than normal. I have some weird SUs that are massive and the oil damper sticks are about 150% bigger than than the normal z su sticks.