HybridZ

guys that have coilovers....

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys. im about to install my front coilovers, andive been lost for awhile now... and Ross is helping me out alot and i thank him alot.

i was told to cut the stock perchs off and weld on his parts and i want to do that because his stuff is much bettr then the crap that came from the 70's. I wanna do it right you know.

so does anybody have pictures of the coilovers installed? or a picture by picture install, showing how u weld on the new perchs and etc.

all the help would be great.

thanks

Mike Sabatino

Check out Jeromio's site. He did a pretty good write-up on sectioning struts for coil-overs. Click Here.

There are a couple of good pics on Tim's site: Click Here. Although, I don't think Tim sectioned his struts.

There is also a few pics on Mike Gibson's (scca) site:

Click Here.

Mike's way of installing is a bit different from Ross's

Guest ON3GO

im still lost on what to do.

what to cut off, what to weld on, where to put this and that...

im sorry i just dont want to mess around and screw up a 400 dollar part.

Check my photo gallery. I just uploaded a pic pointing out where the bottom of the old spring perch was. You will cut the perch off just above the weld. This will give you a stop for the new seat that the collar will rest on. Hope it helps.

Sad part is, I can't even view my own gallery. All I see is red X's

:x

Hopefully you have better luck seeing it.

Guest ON3GO

well here is what i have.. maybe somebody can draw a line or something to tell me what to cut off and etc.

album_pic.php?pic_id=1320

album_pic.php?pic_id=1321

album_pic.php?pic_id=1322

i have a few other pics. too.

thanks[/url]

Hey all I see is red Xs too. Why can't these pics be viewed...?

Mike I found a copy of a Ground Control installation sheet. I can e-mail it to you if you like. It's kind of vague but it does provide a picture. I'm still unsure about a few things but I haven't even taken the old stuff off the car yet. I'm hoping once I see everything in front of me it will majke more sense.

What gets me is how the threaded sleeve is just supposed to "sit" on the perch with no welding...? I guess it's just held on by compression of the unit....?

Guest shauno_

The first thing you have to do is figure out how low you want to go...

Once that's done you can start measuring. I'll tell you what i did.

I cut my perch off, installed the spring with top perch over the strut with the lower collar beneath the spring. I used a hose clamp to temporarily hold the lower perch in place so I could jack the car up to get the approx fender wheel gap that I wanted. I then marked the strut where the bottom of the collar sat. I removed the assembly and installed the strut to see if it had enough travel to accomate the lower ride height. Finding out that it didn't, I cut out just enough of the strut housing to allow for a equall amount of up and down travel. I ended up cuting out about 2 inches. I also had to install a spacer inside the strut tube because I am using 13 inch strut inserts.

The mark you made is about the middle of the the threaded collar. meaning: you want to place the threaded collar about halfway between the mark, to give you a nice equal, up and down adjustability. At the bottom of your collar is where you would weld on your washer type spring perch. Basically whatever you use to hold the threaded collar in place. I would just tack it first though cuz if you do need to move it an inch or so it would be easier to remove. I think I installed and removed the complete suspension about four times. maybe five. I can't remember. It's all about the fun of it. As it is now, I have about 1 inch of upwards adjustability and about 5 inches down. check my gallery for pics. I have many more if you would like to the install.

good luck, i hope this helps

Guest ON3GO

well i think i have 13in struts, so i guess i have to section my struts.

i really just wanted to keep it like stock but lower the car about 2 in's.

damn.... i still cant take the damn stock strut inserts. that damn nut thingy wont come off.

also is Ross's sleevs in his coilovers steel or aluminum?

i still cant take the damn stock strut inserts. that damn nut thingy wont come off.

Mike, that's called the gland nut and yes they can be a real bitch to get off. Penetrating oil, a vice and a large pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench are your friend. Heat is not a bad thing either. The joke is once you get the gland nut off the strut cartridge may be rusted in tight as well.

I can help you get it apart but it would require a road trip to Orlando. I'm available on Sunday so let me know if you want help.

Guest ON3GO

jeff, thanks that would be sooo awesome.. but sunday i have a meeting with my room mate im gonna have in texas for UTI.

i start work tomorrow (only at nights) but maybe when i have a day off and u have a day off we can meet up... i could use all the help i can get. i painted and cleaned up alot of my suspension parts today.

thanks!