HybridZ

is $10,500 a good price for a rb26 swap?

CUBAN

Rick,

It was put on hold when I had to go qualify to land on an Aircraft Carrier in the E-2C Hawkeye. I just finished Sunday. I will know where I will be stationed tomorrow and am finally ready to start back on it again.

I now have my digital camera back from the boat and I can take some pictures of my 260z for the two guys who wrote me while I was at the boat. Hopefully I'll sell that and my Blazer as well pretty soon as I have too many cars sitting around here...

I expect about a month for it to be running and complete. In reality it is a week or so of work, but I know how that works. With my luck, it will be two months. The sooner it is on the road, the better as I am missing track days.

-Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi, my name is Adam, I"m the owner of AfterDark Tuning. : ) One of your members just called me today and told me this is where he heard about me, so I decided to stop in and see what was going on. So, seeing that you guys were talking about me, I decided I'd introduce myself and let you guys know a bit about us. We specialize in the 240SX as our primary business. We import engines and perform engine swaps, as well as stocking a full line of parts for the 240SX. Some of our secondary business includes importing and legalizing vehicles ( such as Skylines ), and working on other Nissans. We have the capability to work with RX-7s, Supras, Celicas, MR2s, and DSMs as well. I would imagine we can do Hondas, but I"ve never bothered to try, I"m not much for FWD, Sentras and Altimas are really the only exception I make to that. : ) Bob is correct, we have not done any of the 2xxZ cars, we do however know how to do the swap on both the 300ZX ( with AWD if so desired ) and the 240SX ( also with AWD if so desired ). We are our own importer of engines, I have contacts in Japan who their entire duty in life is to find me auction vehicles and strip them for everything I need. All of our engines come with less than 70,000km, guaranteed. We also offer a 6 month / 6000 mile warranty on all of the engines we install covering comprehensibly parts and labor, anything that is related to the quality of our product or the quality of our worksmanship is covered. The only thing we don't protect against is user stupidity. : ) The 240SX is by no means bolt up either, as far as fabricating - I do understand all of that. We prefer to use a RB25 oil pan with fittings and lines for our RWD configurations as it makes life significantly easier. Our installation includes a new intake with blitz filter, a custom SS 3" downpipe, walbro 255 fuel pump, and Blitz NUR Spec Racing Exhaust - at least as far as the 240SX price and 10,500 is concerned. It also includes the custom work required such as mounting, driveshaft, and steering shaft work. Our engines include the radiator, and our Skyline swaps include the differential, if you would like us to mount the front brakes we can do that as well - all at no additional cost. As far as suspension/tires, that's something that would have to be upgraded anyways regardless of whether you had us perform the swap. : ) We sell Tein, Cusco, Whiteline, Suspension Tech, HKS and JIC suspension components, however everything we stock is for the 240SX. Our engines are complete, from running auction vehicles and include the intercooler with all piping, as well as the radiator. I do not know if PS and AC can be salvaged on your car or not, something for me to look into. As far as engine management is concerned, all of our engines come with the complete wiring harness and ecu, we rewire the stock unit to mate to the chassis electrical and battery area for connection into the 240SX, I would imagine its similar for a 240Z. Additionally, if you would prefer to go more wild than mild we can install and tune Haltech and Electromotive units. The 10,500 for the 240SX is the RWD configuration and the swap for the 300Z is about 9000-9500 dollars. Also, any "basic" additional work that's wanted is done with no additional charge, if you want massive upgrades we charge 55/hr for the installation of them, and we charge 100/hr for tuning. I think I've covered everything, feel free to ask me anything you'd like, and please enjoy your day!

Guest Zachb55

so how much would you charge just for importing a RB26, shipped to say seattle? i would really like to do my swap on my own, but of course i would also like to have someone who could help me through tough spots, you wanna open up a shop in southwest washington? :wink: well i figure thats a long shot...

-Zach

Guest Anonymous

Just a RB26DETT is 6000 + shipping, and I would imagine shipping to you is about 300 dollars - the RB26DETT with RB25 transmission, oil pan, lines and fittings, as well as the A31 Crossmember with RB20 Mounts ( which may not be applicable for you ) is 6500 + shipping. : ) I'd be more than happy to open a branch up in Washington if you want to spot me a few hundred thousand dollars. : ) Enjoy your day!

Just a RB26DETT is 6000 + shipping, and I would imagine shipping to you is about 300 dollars - the RB26DETT with RB25 transmission, oil pan, lines and fittings, as well as the A31 Crossmember with RB20 Mounts ( which may not be applicable for you ) is 6500 + shipping. : ) I'd be more than happy to open a branch up in Washington if you want to spot me a few hundred thousand dollars. : ) Enjoy your day!

i'll let you borrow a dollar if you open a shop here in torrance, ca

alex

as far as fabricating - I do understand all of that. We prefer to use a RB25 oil pan with fittings and lines for our RWD configurations

Just to clear one thing up Adam as a FYI. When putting the RB26 into a Z, it must have a rear sump pan, vice a front sump pan as the stock RB26 and the RB25 pan. The RB20 pan from the 200zr,(z31 300zx with a RB20, very rare), you can make it work, but you must modify the pan to fit over the girdle.

As such, those of us who are or have put the RB26 into a Z have done one of two things. Either we custom fabricated our own oil pan, or one guy modified the 200zr pan,(Stony - moderator of this forum).

If you search some of the pictures of Z conversions, about 80% of the motor sits behind the front struts vice 70%+ being in front of the struts in a 240sx. A rear sump pan is required.

If you know of a readily adaptable pan and pickup that is a rear sump, I'm all ears as others doing this conversion won't have to do what I did and create a custom one-off oil pan.