HybridZ

240SX seats in a 240z

Guest 240hybrid

Guest 240hybrid

Well I finally finished mounting my 240sx seats in my 240, and the total cost of everthing from the seats to the steelstrips,bolts, etc. is about $150.00. I know that there was some interest by someone else to use theses type seat so heres a crash course in doing it. There are pics of the mount brackets I fabricated, pics of the brackets welded to the seat, and pics of the seats mounted in the car here. http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_personal.php?user_id=3158&sid=9138d89494abe5943178794c636bfa7c

The only tools/materials needed are:

welder of course

vice

hammer

tape ruler and 3 ft straight edge

sawzall with a few blades

drill with 3/8" bit

grinder

4 pieces of 1"x24"x1/8" steel

8 bolts/nuts and washers

marker

Probalbly the hardest parts to find....are the seats. Finding them in a condition that satisfied me was the problem. I bought my driverside seat off ebay, and spent about 6-7 :x hours going to about every junk yard I've ever been to in order to find a passenger seat that didnt have wornout bolsters, or cigarette burns. What a pain. But the good thing about it is I found one in great condition for only $42.40 after tax. :D That made it worth the BS and heat.

The mount brackets are made so that I can just put the seats in the car and bolt them up to the existing mount crossmembers. This whole project took me about 4 hours, from getting the steel ($20.00 minimum at the place I got them at) to putting them in the car.

After you have your 4 strips of steel to make the brackets out of, you'll have to cut the existing mount brackets off of the seat rails as they will do you no good. I cut the stock mounts off the seat runners/rails with my favorite tool, the sawzall. Now that the stock mount brackets are gone, I took a straight edge and held it flush on the rail that was the lowest of the 2 in order to find out how much of a difference in height there was in the 2 runners.

There was a 1 1/4" difference in height between the 2 rails/runners on these seats. I made a 90* bend in the 1"x24"x1/8" steel strips using the vice and hammer to compensate the difference in height of the 1 1/4". Next, find the distance between the 2 runners to find how long to make the brackets. I measured and made them 17 and 1/4" long. Using the remaining steel strips cut off the brackets, I made gussets for the 90* bend (can be seen in the pic in album) for reinforcement.

Now that the brackets are made measure the distance side to side between the holes in the seat mount crossmembers in the car. I came up with a distance of 13 and 1/2" between the 2 holes. Drill the holes insert the bolts and weld the bolts to the brackets. Be careful not to weld the bolts going through the brackets in the wrong direction. The brackets are now finished, besides being welded onto the seat and painting them.

Weld the brackets onto your runners/rails the proper distance front to back of 12 and 1/2" from the center of mount bolt to bolt. Use a wet towel and lay/wrap it over the cloth and underside of your seats so they dont catch fire or get burns from the sparks. Let cool, prep,and paint and you now have nissan 240sx seats that will bolt into your 240z. This was a pretty straight forward job that didnt take much time.

Chase

Guest 240hybrid

I like the seat much better than my stock Z seats. The 240SX seat does sit about 1 - 2 inches higher than stock, so you 6'2" fellas might not like them. Unless you removed the stock mount crossmembers and fabbed new ones putting the 240sx seat at a closer to stock height. I'm about 5'11", so I like being up just a bit more, providing a good visibility yet still retaining good comfort. The side bolstering seems to support twice as good as a stock seat ever did. This is very welcome for hard cornering. Also, these new seats are stiffer than stock, keeping the driver and passenger where they're supposed to be. Yet, dont seem as if they will apply pressure to any certain areas making rides uncomfortable.

Overall, I give them :2thumbs: .

Chase