HybridZ

think I made a mistake... BOV installation

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I dropped off J-pipe and BOV (1G DSM) to get them welded together, and I think it may have been put on in a bad place. The guy doing my turbo swap told me to tell the guy to put it as close to the throttle body side as possible. He put it right at the end of the straight section of the pipe, right before the U turn that leads to the TB. The thing I'm worried about is that he put it facing almost straight up! So the thing stands about 4 inches above the top of the intake pipe. Is this gonna cause problems with hood clearance?? The engine isn't in the car yet so I have no way to check this for myself as of yet....

Guest bastaad525

sure, thanks, should be pretty similar on a 240 right? Just looking at pictures it's hard to tell but it looks like it would be lower than the distributor cap and definately lower than the valve cover, maybe just about as high as the shock tower.... man I'm gonna be kicking myself if I can't get the hood to close because of this.

From what it sounds like you won't have much of a clearance. I have mine in about the same place as you, but mine is off to the side. If you click on my web page you'll see how mine is placed. It took me awhile before I found a perfect place for my BOV. Good luck with yours.

335986_28.jpg

sure, thanks, should be pretty similar on a 240 right? Just looking at pictures it's hard to tell but it looks like it would be lower than the distributor cap and definately lower than the valve cover, maybe just about as high as the shock tower.... man I'm gonna be kicking myself if I can't get the hood to close because of this.

Just make a little 'powerbulge' in the hood, ala Mitsubishi Eclipse :D

Tim

Guest bastaad525

nooooooo :cry: dont want to do anything like that

worse comes to worse I get another Jpipe and do it over again..... sucks ass :(

Guest bastaad525

From your pics tickwon I would think there will definately not be enough room there... not sure how much differently it will sit in the 240 but I'm betting it wont. I thought the pipe angled down from where it comes off the throttle body, but it actually up HIGHER before it angles down to the turbo.....

I will point this out though, further down the pip, about 7-8 inches from the turbo end, there is a bracket and a short 5 inch hose coming off the pipe, the hose is angled up, and the other side of it isnt much lower than the top of the BOV, if I'm guessing the angle right based on your pics.

Guest bastaad525

That IS a good idea!! Thanks Lockjaw :) Dont know why I didn't think of that..... I'm guessing there's a certain kind of hose you guys use for stuff like this? Not just regular radiator hose right? I know I always see orange colored hoses in all the pics around here... what exactly is that stuff called?

You can spend big $$$ on silicone hose in the right sizes... or if you want to do it 'budget' do what I did and use some semi-truck radiator hose in the right size. 2, 2.25, 2.5, 3" is all common on those trucks. Its about 1/5 the cost of the silicone stuff. (though that stuff looks AWESOME don't get me wrong)

If you can cut it like LJ said and then weld it back together like Tim said. The cost of the hose's and the trouble of the clamps loosening over time will be a pain in the rear. Welding pipes is so much better in the long run. You'll be glad you took the time and effort to do it right.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I'm just gonna have them cut, rotate and weld it, since I'll already be there might as well have them do all of it, probably isn't gonna cost any more or maybe what $5 to weld it back together? Thanks again for the ideas guys :) And Tim thanks for the offer but you're a pretty far trip away to save the extra $5-10 to have them weld it back up. Still waiting for ya to finish that V8 though I am dying to see how she looks when shes done! Whens the next BBQ??

Guest bastaad525

yeah I'm not gonna touch it until I get the engine in the car and go from there. It still may be placed in such a way that even with rotating that section of pipe, it may not be able to get good clearance... anyways I found that I have a spare J-pipe so I'm not too worried about it now, thanks again guys :)