HybridZ

Had to change this topics name (was the Jersey/BOV topic)

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

:-P You used to have just the stock turbo setup in your 240 not too long ago..... so I'd think you're a good person to ask about this. I started another thread on this here: http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23744

wasn't sure you'd ever pass by that thread. Anyways since you ran the stock intake pipe in your 240, I'm wondering a)where did you originally mount your DSM BOV (be detailed please) and B) from memory, do you think there'd be enough hood clearance with the BOV mounted right at the top of the pipe? From the one engine bay pic you have in your gallery it looks like it might just fit.... I already had the guy weld it on and he put it there before I had a chance to think about clearance, wondering if I'm gonna need to scrounge up another pipe :(

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey. Sorry - work kicking my @ss. I mounted the 1G DSM BOV right at about the middle of the hard bend, right before the throttle body, on the bottom with it facing upside down. I am seaching for a picture now and will post it. I think you might have a little bit of a problem with it mounted on top. There isn't a heck of a lot of room between the hood & motor once it's closed. It really depends exactly how and where it's placed. You got some good remidies on the other post. I'll post a pic if i have one.

Guest bastaad525

yeah now that I took a better look at the car, I dont think it's gonna fit this way. And I kinda like your idea better to actually put it in the middle of the U bend, gets it even closer to the TB, which I have been told is what you want. Luckily I have another intake pipe so I'm really only out the $20 I paid to get it welded on, not too bad *shrug*. I'm curious, which way did you face the BOV's outlet?

I faced the outlet almost directly toward that fender wall, a little angled toward the back. Hard to explain and cannot find one darn pic that shows it clear enough of my pre-intercooler setup!! I also used a 1G DSM boot between the AFM and T3. It was shorter (so i could squeeze a pipe out into the front of the radiator for an intake filter so it gets good cool air) and, it had the outlet and hose already attached to be connected to the BOV outlet. No need to figure ho wto modify original. I don't know how others use the stock boot with the AFM AND route through the rad support for a front mounted air filter, that's just what i came up with. I'm sure others have much better ideas. I do think i have a pic of someone elses Z exactly where i placed my BOV on the stock pipe. I'll see if i can find it. Anyway, here's a pic comparing the two boots....

5226ZXT-VS-DSM_BOOT.jpg

Guest bastaad525

whoa that's cool.... I was wondering about how to work my K&N in there, it doesn't look like there's gonna be much room. Also I really wanted to recirculate the BOV into the intake so it wont be too loud... when I start smoking ricers I dont want them to get any clue as to what's under my hood :) I just keep getting more and more good ideas here..... I'm gonna call a mitsu dealer tommorow and check the price on one of these new, if it's unreasonable I'll hit a salvage yard over the weekend.... very nice. Anywho no need to go too far out of your way to find a pic of the BOV, you described it pretty well.

right in the middle of the U bend that is right before the throttle body, mounted on the bottom with the outlet facing the driver side fender and slightly toward the back of the car right?

im not into using that boot, the stock zx air boot adds 3 45 degree bends and robs air flow due to its bellows type form, and the dsm looks like it adds two 45 degree bends. they will work and hold air well though, thats what they are designed to do.

i made an 3" intake off the turbo that consists of one sweeping 30 degree bend to the afm (the sole reason a bend was even needed!) then from the afm a straight 3" pipe to a short 45 through the radiator support in front of the intercooler. the throttle response difference was immediately noticeable, more so with the j pipe.

watch Jersey do this and run 11s :shock:

man, if my car would hit a low 13 on the J-pipe, i would have quit a long time ago :D

You got it 525. Sorry, couldn't find any good clear pics. Like i said, there's many ideas out there, like a great one that Len custom made, i just found this one on the ground at the Junkyard when i was looking for a mount for the DSM BOV, and figured that it may work...and it did. I knew the stock ZXT boot was too long to fit the AFM and then route another boot/pipe though the rad support for the cleaner and also, it didn't have a port to recirculate the BOV which i wanted. This one was basically a plug and play. I did have to get a small coupler to attach to the front of the AFM then i made a 3" pipe with two small angles to route close to the fender and out through the rad support. Once you get the motor in and start lining things up, it'll be easier to understand. Len...11's...yeah right, i wish! I do know of a way that i could run a bit faster...with a T04b...know anyone with a spare??? haha. Do you have any pics of your custom intake? Now you have me thinking....

i will try to actually get some photos underhood of my car, i dont have any that are close to being current. but i do think you will notice the difference if you changed that rubber boot out to pipe, something minor, like being just that much quicker you know?

you gotta love the junkyard, i swear by this, before i get down and start to unbolt the hard stuff in the import section, i will pop hatches and scope the ground very hard before, and sometimes you get some good stuff, one time i went to go grab an r200 rear suspension setup, and it was right there on the ground next to me, poor guys stripped the last driveshaft bolt and left it there!

Guest bastaad525

I find that I do really well at the hardware store!! I always seem to get great ideas for better ways to route things on my car and find everything I need at home depot... the stuff never looks that good under the hood but it gets the job done and done well!

Well anyways I dropped my 240 off today for my mechanic to start with the swap. He estimates about a week to get everything in there..... man I can-not-WAIT!!!! Oh and I talked into giving me the 3.54 diff that is in the ZX for really cheap, so that's going into my car too. I can't wait to drive this setup.... even if it wasn't turbo, I'm gonna love having the 3.54's and '81-83 five speed in my car..... nice relaxed cruising and long gears, as opposed to the manic shift shift shift I get with the '77 tranny and 3.9's! 3600rpm at 75mph! Too high for me...... man I can't wait...... tick tock tick tock.

Guest bastaad525

actually I'm expecting a little bit of a dissapointment from the first ride :oops: If only because the N/A engine I have in the Z right now puts out more power than the stock turbo does, and I wont be increasing the boost right off the bat. So I fully expect the car to be a little slower for now, just gonna ride it long enough to make sure all is working well, a few days maybe. If everything checks out then boost is going up to 10 psi and I'll see if it seems to lean out at all. The more I think about it thought the more I want to go with a way to adjust boost from inside the car.... that way I can just leave it stock except for when I need it. I know I'm gonna love the new gear ratios though :)

Question: when just cruising around, part throttle cruising, will the boost always be touching peak? Or does it just float around at lower levels or not even come on when not at WOT? I'm just wondering how much effect on the life of the engine and turbo I'm having by leaving it at 10psi all the time?

Just cruising around, my engine runs at 15-19 inches of VAC. Same as a NA engine, Boost only picks up when you get on it and get the turbo spinning. That's part of the beauty of turbo engines - You have a nice, driveable car which can be a real fire-breather on the boost. I wouldn't be surprised if the turbo engine will be quicker than your NA plant as it has a lot more torque and there's no waiting for the RPM to build to peak power. Have fun - Doug

Bay - didn't see your email? resend it if you can.

525 - The N/A L28 i had in my '73 before the T-swap had just about 10:1 and i ran a 15.026 with it. It was good. But..once i put the T motor in, it's in a whole different ball park. There's nothing like forced induction. You're going to love it once you get it all dialed in. Can't wait 'till next week for you. As Doug said - cruising it floats around 15-19" vac, moderate accelleration - 5-10" of vac. You could have it set at 20psi all the time but it wont run up to 20psi unless you have it WOT and have a load on it. You'll be fine at 10psi. Do you have a good gauge for watching the boost level?

Guest bastaad525

so you guys think the turbo would still be faster?? Last I heard a stock turbo will put around 140-150 hp at the wheels. When I dynoed this engine I got 170 at 5500 and 170ft lbs at 5000. Never did get it down to the track, but did do many many hand timed 0-60 runs and got consistent 6.5-6.7 second runs, which when put together with everything else I know about the car would have probably got me a 14.8-15.3 quarter time. I have looked around but havent found anyone that has done a baseline 1/4 with a turbo in a 240 running stock boost levels. Well I do hope you guys are right about it being faster anyways, it definately sounds like it will be a more enjoyable ride overall. For the boost gauge I bought one of the Autometer Phantom gauges, one that shows from -20 to +30 lbs.... didn't think I'd need it to show vacuum too but I figured what the heck.

So what about longevity? If I turn the boost up to 10psi, but it really wont effect much when I'm just cruising around, am I hurting the lifespan of turbo or motor? Do stock turbo motors running stock boost get the same long high mileage lifespans as n/a nissan blocks?

how many miles do typical stock T3's live anyways?

The stock turbo engine will make more torque than the 170 of your n/a engine from 3K to 5K rpm. I believe the stock turbo makes around 195lbs torque at the wheels.

Life of the engine will depend on your habits. Do you allow the turbo to cool before shutting down, change oil every 2500miles, etc.

Guest bastaad525

Hmmmm I've heard that the usual times vary from high 13's or 14 flats from stock motors set to 10psi boost, but never at stock boost levels. Even if torque is close to 190ish at the wheels at stock boost, I dont see that extra 20 ftlbs knocking a full second off of my estimated 15 second time. I agree, anyone feel free to chime in here :)

Oh well, I won't say anymore and just let you find out the fun way, with your own car. But the torque curve of the turbo engine is much different than a n/a engine. There is more area under the curve. I am curious to see what my 240z runs right now with the stock turbo engine and 4spd tranny with R180 diff. It will go a little over 100mph in 3rd gear. It stays on the turbo in all three gears if I run it to 6k before shifting.