HybridZ

BW t-5 with 225mm clutch, questions

mobythevan

First of all I am swapping the BW t-5 from 83 280zx turbo into 73 240z. Here is what I think I know: I can use my 225mm clutch, disc and pressure plate (240mm would be better but I don't have one right now), I can use the 240z master and slave cylinders for the clutch, but what I'm not sure about is the throwout arm and throwout bearing. Do I use the ones on the 240z or the ones on the BW t-5? I seem to remember a couple posts about the throwout bearing collar being different on some cars and the throwout arm being different for some pressure plates/bellhousings???. Can someone clarify this a little.

I am aware that the t-5 has different output splines requiring a different yoke, but the input shaft splines are the same so either clutch disc will work.

You are correct the older slider for the 340 is shorter. Use the T5 slider, and I do believe you can use/swap out the throwout bearing I had both of them aitting next to each other at one time, but I cant remember if the contact area was the same on the bearings. That would be what you need to check. But use the T5 parts, and if you have an old adjustable clutch arm with the hole in it, use that setup, and you will be very happy to be able to adjust the clutch arm, and have the return spring as well.