HybridZ

Size of Triple Webers or Triple Mikunis

av240z

I was wondering because i drive my car on the street about 3 times a week and i want to know what size of triple webers or triple mikunis would be ideal for almost everday driving and then when i wanna race or something they will be up to performance?

You have a 240, but you didn't list what engine you have. Assuming you've got a 2.4, I'd say 40's are OK. Anything bigger and I'd go 44 Mikunis or 45 Webers.

Don't do it if you cannot tune a carb or don't want to spend money on jets. They're a big PITA if you are unfamiliar.

Get the How to Modify book, it goes through all the circuits on the carbs, and get a one wire O2 sensor mounted in the exhaust manifold/header. With the O2 sensor you know exactly what the air/fuel ratio is. Just hook up a volt meter to the O2 sensor. You want voltage to equal about .85 - .9 volts for best power.

Also make sure you have enough cam to take advantage of the carbs. I've got a friend running a basically stock L20B on a 510 with dual 44's. He can't rev over 6K, because of the cam. But the velocity of the incoming air is so slow at low rpms that he really doesn't have much low end either. So he has the worst of both worlds. No bottom end and flattens out really bad on top end.

On the plus side I've got 3 x 44's and a fairly big cam and a light flywheel and I can drive in stop and go all day long (except for my new overheating prob--totally unrelated). People often warned me not to do the triples because I would hate driving in traffic. Same thing with the cam. Same with the light flywheel. And the ACT pressure plate. People generally just told me not to do to my car what I've done to it. My experience has been that the L6 has enough low end torque to offset the all of these potential problems, and I love the way my car drives!

Jon Mortensen

I've got the 40 DCOE's feeding my 3.1 liter. Very streetable and preformed very well at the few track events I have been to.

Best thing I did for the Webers was to install a set of 50mm tall velocity air stacks. This noticeably improved the bottem end torque.

I have an L28 F54 block with E88 head, scheider mild racing cam, port and polish, racing valve springs and retainers

I just tuned a set of 40DCOE w/ 36mm chokes on a friends car with a very similar build setup. It works beautifully, and throttle response is instantaneous. In all honesty, he's probably down a few hp compared to a 45DCOE with 38 or even 40mm chokes but the car is a lot more trackable on a daily basis. I'd recommend the same setup for you, unless you plan on getting more crazy in the future. Think of it like this. 40s are for L24-mild L28s and 44 and up are for wild L28-strokers.

Whatever you do, be careful of overcarbing, as you'll just end up with a boggy setup that doesn't perform well.