HybridZ

Has anyone put a turbo on a n/a block?

Guest Blue02wrx

Guest Blue02wrx

kind of a weird question but me and my friend are buying a complete turbo motor for 200 bucks and he needs the bottom end but nothing else. i was wondering if anyone had ever put everything, including head and injectors...on the n/a block. i'll need a fuel pump, but i was oinly planning on running the stock boost and j-pipe until i can afford more stuff.

Guest Blue02wrx

yeh it's a 82 n/a flatop motor....from what i have read that is a f54 block and has a 8.8 compression ration while the turbo has dished pistons making it a 8.0 compression, the extra .8 should make for a nice boost in performance. and i am planning on the old billitp[roof nissan bottom end.

Guest Blue02wrx

i could be worng about the stock compresion ratios, but i know i have the p79 head and the turbo motor has the p90 head and i am pretty sure they have the same height and combustion chambe making them have equal compression ratios less the piston shape. if that makes any sense. i guess i am saying that putting a p90 head on my flatop motor will give it the exact same c.r.

Guest Blue02wrx

will the slighty higher compression ratio be ok for stock 7 psi boost and stock j-pipe. i did compression test and got 165 =+/- 4 psi across the board...i was surprised with a motor that has 165k on it. the valve seals are shot though...she smokes a bit :-)

I see a few errors here that could lead to some miscalculated cr's.

The stock early L28E had dished (10.9cc) top pistons and with it's N42/47 head made 8.3:1. The later F54 flat-top L28E was 8.8:1 with its P79 head. The L28ET uses dished pistons and P90 head (same chamber volume as P79).

If you use the P90 head on an F54 shortblock, you will have 8.8:1 which is a bit high for a turbo engine. If you use an earlier L28E shortblock ('75-'78) and P90 head it would be the same c.r. as a stock L28ET (but it would have na pistons which aren't as strong as the turbo units. DAW

FWIW - 2JZGTE motor with 8.5:1 compression cranks out 165PSI here. I'd think 8.8:1 wouldn't be too bad but I guess the flow of the head, effeciency of the turbo, and other things would come into play. I've run 10+ PSI on a V8 with 9:1 compression with NO issues. <shrug>

It can definitely be done as a "low-pressure" turbo build up (an intercooler is vital here) but the maximum available horsepower will be less than an engine with lower static c.r. that can run a lot more boost. DAW

It can definitely be done as a "low-pressure" turbo build up (an intercooler is vital here) but the maximum available horsepower will be less than an engine with lower static c.r. that can run a lot more boost. DAW

I totally agree with DAW said. It will take some good tuning and proper engine management to have high boost and a compression ratio like what you will end up with. Not saying it can't be done because it has been many times.

I wouldn't run more than 7 or 8 psi without an intercooler with the stock turbo. If you upgrade to a larger turbo that will heat the air less then you might could run more.

Guest Anonymous

I just got mine running properly, its a '79 2+2 2.8 auto with the turbo from a series 2 LD20 4 cylinder on it (pretty damn small) and a manifold from a Nissan Laurel 2L turbo, with the standard L28 N/A inlet manifold, injectors, modified sump, and the computer from the L20.

The car is much faster now, it could never do a standstill before but will do one with no trouble now (and this is on 5 pounds), its very loud though I haven't had a chance to go and get the exhaust done so its only about 30cms long :)