HybridZ

Is anyone running a turbo without an oil cooler?

Jwink25

I was just wondering...may not be the best of ideas to do so. I did not get the oil cooler off of the 280ZXT.

If you are running an after market one, got any part numbers to pass out? I think the oil filter thread is the same as some Fords (302?).

Do I need to retain any of the old oil filter/cooler pieces? The part that connects the filter to the engine, there is a spring loaded check ball...if I replace this part with an aftermarket oil filter/cooler kit...will everything work correctly? I would hate to lose my newly rebuilt engine.

So, what do I need to do? Just go out and buy a oil cooler kit for a Ford 302 and not worry about it? Oh, and where would be a good spot to place it?

Thanks,

Jason

I am not running an oil cooler yet on my 83 engine. I went to Parker Fittings and got adapters to screw into the oil filter housing to convert to a standard flange fitting so it would be easy to hook up any kind of oil cooler in the future. The thread size into the oil cooler where the original cooler lines connect is 18mm. I just got 18mm to flared standard fitting adapter. That way I got rid of the banjo fittings and all of the original junk. To hard to find replacement parts or fitting that work with that stuff.

I found an older post that talks a little about a pressure relief vavle in the oil filter adapter.

My engine is from an automatic...this means I have to keep the oil filter adapter piece? That is were the oil pressure relief valve is? What happens if this part is not used?

I think that the cooler line adapter piece can be modified to accept different fittings? How many of you have done this? Would I just need to retap the holes to a "AN" size? Then screw in some sort of fitting and clamp hoses to it? What type of hose should I use?

Thanks

Jason

"I am not running an oil cooler yet on my 83 engine. I went to Parker Fittings and got adapters to screw into the oil filter housing to convert to a standard flange fitting so it would be easy to hook up any kind of oil cooler in the future. The thread size into the oil cooler where the original cooler lines connect is 18mm. I just got 18mm to flared standard fitting adapter. That way I got rid of the banjo fittings and all of the original junk. To hard to find replacement parts or fitting that work with that stuff."

So, I can keep the adapter and use an adapter for the fittings....then use hose clamps the attach the oil lines?

Thanks,

Jason

I think that the cooler line adapter piece can be modified to accept different fittings? How many of you have done this? Would I just need to retap the holes to a "AN" size? Then screw in some sort of fitting and clamp hoses to it? What type of hose should I use?

See post above, you don't have to tap anything you can by an adapter fitting to get you to something like AN. A store that builds hydraulic hoses can then build lines for you at a reasonable price. I had a bypass line built with 250psi hose that was high temperature stuff. I'll have new hoses built when i install my oil cooler.

I took the stock automatic oil cooler adaptor to a local machine shop and had the oil holes tapped for 1/2 npt and then ran braided hose to a large B&M oil cooler up front between the intercooler and the radiator.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone running an oil thermostat with their oil cooler and what temp should oil run at?

Dave C.

I believe that my thermostat is set at 190 deg.

BTW, don't skimp on the hoses - I would not run less than -10 (5/8" id). And I would run at least the turbo oil pump - all the added plumbing and lines can add a fair amount of restriction inline in the system. You should try to keep the restrictions to a minimum, and the added pump capacity will help overcome what you have added in.

Guest szlash280z

I bought one from Advance auto, it is a universal type. I have the stock oil cooler adapter and did not use the sandwich adapter that came with the $70 kit. I messed up my original fittings and couldn't use the stock cooler so I cut the hoses and spliced in the additional length of hose needed to reach the aftermarket oil cooler. I am going to take pictures when I get home.

I was wondering about the pressure relief too, I don't know what effect it will have if you don't have one.

Guest bastaad525

How important is it to install one of these? If the car is only ever driven on the street, not even much on the freeway, no real 'racing' and only ever on boost for, at most, 3-5 seconds at a time... should I worry about installing one?

Does anyone have pictures of their oil cooler setup? I have a RX-7 oil cooler I'd like to install. It's about 19" long so I'm not sure how I'm gonna mount it yet.

bastaad - I think you should be ok for street driving. I have been running without one since I got the car and haven't had any problems. I probably wouldn't have bothered with an oil cooler till later but I already have the parts.

I simply took the stock fittings with me to the oil filter place (Williams Oil Filter Service, in tacoma wa). I told them where the lines were going to be run and how long to make them, they reused the stock fittings (the don' cary metric ones) and used new tubing.

Total cost to me was $40, that was for steel braided line with a cloth like covering (think OEM 240 tubes), it looks great(very stock).

The only thing to be careful of is of how long the lines are made, and how the fittings are positioned, the new lines don't twist at all.

I can provide photos once I get back (woo, a weekend at laguna seca, then on to skip barber)