HybridZ

Phantom Grip...(I tried to search...)

JB_BA

I know some guys here have tried it, or at least I'm pretty sure they have. I've got an R200 diff with 3.75 gears...the phantom grip is an LSD conversion that supposedly eliminates 1 wheel peel. I'm just wondering if it works as well as the site claims, I'm really intrested in it. (http://www.phantomgrip.com)

They have an application for 280z's and 240z's. R200's are all that's listed.

Anyone tried it? Like it?

I'm going to buy one as long as they don't destroy my rear-end or break after 5,000 miles.

JB

As far as I know, the Phantom, Power Brute, and others are all Nissan LSD's imported from Japan. In fact, I believe ALL Nissan LSD's are Nissan units, except for the Quaiffe. This info comes from the ordering dept of Randy's Ring and Pinion, who are the largest LSD and locker distributor in the country. I would love to find out that I am wrong here... but I believe that I speak the truth.

Unfortunately, Randy's did almost nothing with Nissan. They only carried Auburn Gear, and didn't have any in stock when I left. Those were also supposed to be Nissan units.

FWIW, the Nissan unit is pretty darn good. Very similar to Dana's PowerLok with ramping cross pins, which is a lot more durable and agressive than Auburn's cone set up, or Dana Trackloc, or Ford Traction-Lock, or even Eaton.

Jon Mortensen

I had some mixed feelings about buying the Phantom Grip, but after a group buy was available I couldn't resist. Upon trying to put it in I found, like some others that had purchased one, it didn't fit correctly. After minimal milling I managed to get it in. I haven't had much driving time with it, but I did notice better traction, except on slippery surfaces. Even in those circumstances it was very predictable. I took my Z to a track day out at Motorsports Ranch, but unfortunately it was raining that day and we didn't get to play at high speeds, but 4 wheel drifts around corners on the slick surface was a blast! I haven't pulled the drain plug to check for signs of metal since installation. I did notice just the other day as I was trying to remove the drive shaft that it is very hard to rotate the wheels by hand. I'm sure it has added alot of internal friction, but I'm sure it's not to much more then any other true LSD available. Would I do it again? Probably. Is it worth the expense. I would say yes, all assuming that I don't find those signs of metal I need to check for. Will it hold up to big power? I'll let everyone know as soon as my Z gets back from paint jail and I finish the turbo conversion. Is this post long enough? I hope it helped. :)

Firstly, if you searched for an obviously drivetrain related subject in this, the Chevy board, then clearly you would not find any hits.

How about after you look thru the 10 posts about this subject in the correct board (Drivetrain), then you post whatever questions still remain in that board.

You should also read this:

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24173

(BTW, Phantom Grip is not a Nissan LSD - it's sort of a hack with 2 plates pushing against the spyder gears. No clutches)

Spotfitz,

The LSD shouldn't make it harder to turn the driveshaft at all. It only does its thing when you go around a turn. When you twist the driveshaft with the car on jack stands, the only gears turning in the diff would be ring and pinion. Check to see if you have a brake hanging up.

BTW - it should be difficult to spin the wheels in opposite directions with a clutch style LSD.

Jon Mortensen

jeromio,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll try to make sure and post in the right forum next time, but if I don't, be sure to flay me alive for it. (I'm sure you will! :))

The link provided also says that I should only post my question in one forum, so I'll leave it here, and if Tim sees fit to move it, then I'll gladly check to see if anyone has replied in the "Drive Train" forum.

Thanks for the help,

Barrett

As far as I know' date=' the Phantom, Power Brute, and others are all Nissan LSD's imported from Japan. In fact, I believe ALL Nissan LSD's are Nissan units, except for the Quaiffe. This info comes from the ordering dept of Randy's Ring and Pinion, who are the largest LSD and locker distributor in the country. I would love to find out that I am wrong here... but I believe that I speak the truth.

Jon Mortensen[/quote']

the Phantom Grip aka Phantom Slip if it's own product and has been discussed, it's 2 metal plates with springs in the middle to push against the spider gears limiting their abulity to turn freely, you are introducing metal on metal rubbing in your diff with one of these, havn't heard of long term problems yet but expect to in the future, they work modestly, and if it doesn't work on slipery surfaces it's because it does not work, for the same money you can get a used nissan unit at a junk yard and you'll have a real LSD

Guest harth

I'm running a phantom grip. I am not very impressed. Just like with the open diff. it's unpredictable, sometimes it pulls both tires, sometimes only one. If you get out of shape at all it will go to one wheel. I am currently putting another diff. in, I put in the heavier (green) springs this time I will post the results in a day or so. Harth

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the car back on the road and the "new" green race springs did not help at all. In my opinion the phantom grip is no better than a open diff. Harth 280zz430

• 3 weeks later...

I read the comments about the Phanton grip LSD setup.

Has anyone heard of Retrofit out of Colorado? I just sent 2 open diffs to them to have their version of Limited slip installed. Cost is $350 ea.

I havent got the units back yet but I was told that this setup is more like the Nissan setup (using clutch plates) and some kind of friction material rather than metal to metal contact.

I also dont know yet if it would be a 1 way or 2 way design?