HybridZ

R200 Gears? Anthing higher (lower #) than 3.364's?

Jersey

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone knew of an R200, or a gearset that would swap into an R200, that was higher (lower numerically) than the 3.364's that are found in the '79zx 4sp, 2+2's? I'm looking for something like 2.90's or close to it. I think ScottieGNX is running a ratio like this but is usuing the vette rear. I'd rather not go that route considering 1 - it's hard to find that rear around here, 2 - it's going to expensive and 3, judging by the amount of work he did to get it in there, i'd rather not. Just wasn't sure if, over the years, datsun/nissan may have made anything lower for the R200. Thanks in advance.

there was a v8 guy running 3.08 r200, i would think that was a nismo part. I know another v8 guy that had a 3.15 r200 lsd, in the primadonna scarab z. They are NLA and very hard to find.

Drag Radials :D

best bet is the 3.36, also pretty hard to find, it only comes in a 79 280zx 2+2 with a four speed, or maybe it was an auto, i dont think they had four speed in zx years.

Thanks guys. Damn. Yeah Len, that was my original thinking...to go with a drag slick in a bigger size then i thought, i like to drive the car on the street exactly how i run it at the strip. So, i was trying to keep the 215-50-15's on and lower the ratio but, no good i guess. Thanks for the replies guys.

drag radials are DOT approved you know!!!

i know what you mean about driving the car exactly like on the street as track, maybe thats why i went to the strip my first time in this car with my laundry, a steel box of tools, a 3 ton jack, and god knows what else!!!

the lower gears may be even worse for you though, once you spin em its hard to get back on track, and once you get back, you may bog as well....

, i was trying to keep the 215-50-15's on and lower the ratio but, no good i guess. Thanks for the replies guys.

If your putting down power your just going to spin the who-haa out of those tires anyway. You can find R180 3.36s easier than the R200, people charge LSD prices for those rare 3.36 R200s when I find them, which I think I have seen 2 ever.

Len - i know they're DOT approved but i wouldn't drive around with a much bigger tire on the rear than the front. i like the way she handles being nice and level :-D But it looks like i'm going to have to do the tire swap deal for the track. I have a extra set of the 14" star ZX rims...guess i could slap like a set a 235/60-14's on them. That should be around a 25" radius tire compared to my current 22 1/2" radius. That should be right around what i need. Funny stuff - laundry, jack, tools...you run like me! haha.

Mudge - I dont think i'm putting down much power, i just run through the gears REAL quick right now and topping out 4th across the trap @ 106mph and 6200rpm! Way past the limit of the T3...in my opinion. The 3.36 wouldn't be enough of a jump i'm looking for from my current 3.54's now anyway. I didn't know that they were that hard to find. I cant believe datsun/nissan didn't put a R200 or R180 with a 2.90, or something close, in any of thier vehicles over the years. I know my '88 pathfinder had a R180 front diff but they were something like 4.11's. There's got to be something out there. Possibly mix a ring with a different pinion to get lower....hmm. Thanks again guys.

The 3.08 R200 gearing was for Nissan diesel applications. Probably more a truck applicaiton then diesel Maximas so search for diesel powered Nissan patrols, Hardbody pickups, light or medium duty Nissan truck chassis, etc. Search the truck junkyards.

Mudge - I dont think i'm putting down much power, i just run through the gears REAL quick right now and topping out 4th across the trap @ 106mph and 6200rpm!

I have an early 5 speed with a 3.90, I know the feeling. On the street 5th is for anything over 35 MPH :D