HybridZ

shift knob options

av240z

i got a set of black carpets from jcwhitney. i put in the seats before i got the new carpet and they look good. the black seats will look fine. i got black because my door panels have two huge holes where speakers once were and i have some black door panels to replace them.

nice car you have there :2thumbs:

If you really want to be different, go to Home Depot and get one of those spherical spun-aluminum doorknobs - the sort that don't have a keyhole in them. Then stick the shift lever in there and fill it with molten lead. When it solidifies, you'll have a cool knob that damps vibrations and will *snick* *snick* smoothly through the gears. Perfect size, inexpensive, unique, and functional. How can you get any better?

Second option: Get one of the integrated knob/boots from a BMW M3. The numbers on the top light up, and you can get an insert that matches you shift patterns. Iv'e got one in my 535i, and I love it! You'd have to modify it to fit your lever, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Yo2001!!! That is frickin cool!!!..off topic, but I like where you have your turbo timer/ A/F ratio monitor!!

I have the same one..I have mine on the steering column between the speedo and tach...easy to read, but tough to adjust...

I have a leather/carbon fibre Momo shift knob.

I went from stock to a Razzo Shifter, then from there I went to a pistol grip. After using the pistol grip for less than 10 shifts, I'm back using stock. Stock just feels right :D.

anyone wanna take my excess shifters knobs off my hands (for a fee :wink: ) lemme know...

I've tried to use universal fitting knobs that come with a 10mm fitting on them before, and I would experience resonance at mid to high rpms in 2nd thru 4th gear. I think the fitting is vibrating against the shifter housing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or am I just alone in this.... :?

By the way..i like this one...

shift_knob2.jpg

I replaced the stupid, plastic t-handle on the auto shift lever with one from a Dodge Intrepid. It looks like a manual srtick now, and you can't see the button, because it's on the front! (not side) :D

Hey, that sounds nice! You running the stock Z shifter?

One of my BMW friends started a speed parts business a while back, and has been selling lots of "Rob Knobs" made out of aluminum, stainless steel, or titanium. Their titanium knobs run a measly $210. Expensive, but you won't find a nicer or more durable shift knob out there. I'd stack their quality up against anything else on the planet. BMW's have a rubber insert in the shift lever that helps to insulate from heat, and the knobs themselves have an insulating delrin insert for added protection.

They've got a lot of neat stuff on their website. It seems pricey at first, but when you consider that it's all no-compromise stuff, it's actually pretty reasonable. UUC Motorwerks.com The UUC stands for "Underground Upgrade Club", something a bunch of us came up with after discussing how best to hide our upgrades from our spouses. "Sure I need a big brake kit - it's a safety upgrade!" or just plain hide the receipts! It's amazing how many guys out there dump cubic money into their cars, and their wives never find out. Anyway, give it a look and see what you think.

You running the stock Z shifter?

Yep, stock 3 Spd shifter on the original auto trans. I also baught a LEATHER jacket from the Salvation Army store, and I'm going to cut it up to make a shifter boot. Or two or three even. I figure one sleeve= one shifter boot.

I'lll bet the shifter knob will fit most any auto trans with a 1/2 inch O.D. shaft and an adjustable pushrod. I made an adapter to fit the knob to shaft from a few brass tubes.