HybridZ

Whats your 0-60 time?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, Im kinda interested in this v8z, and i was wondering, what kind of 0-60 times would a guy expect with the swap. Also is the swap in a 79zx harder to do, does everything fit right? Im just checking it out and had some questions any response is appriciated. Thanks

Guest kc6wfs

Hi 79ZX

In a 79 car you would have to put a 79 or newer motor in it with all the origional smog equipment for the year of the donor motor, if you have to have it smoged.

The swap is not very hard if you can do a little cutting and wrench on things and do some minor electrical stuff.

Your 0-60 times will depend on HP but it will kick most all ricers butts!!!

Mine is in the low 5's I think for 0-60' and around 2 secs for 60' mark.

I need TRACTION!!! :(

If you are intersted in converting your Z get the bible.. The "JTR" book from "Jags That Run" it is our bible.

P.S. Welcome aboard...

Dave

cheers.gif

1fastz,

3.5 secs? I think you are way off and it is probably more like low-2.0s. Here is a spreadsheet developed by one of the Buicks guys that plots 0-60 using calculus with input from your timeslip. Download the spreadsheet and plug in your numbers.

You will need the 60', 330', 1/8 and 1000' times and that is good because with my 1.57 60', my car would appear to be quicker than yours and it is no where close. That is why I do not like the one that uses only the 60' time as input, because the car is not going 60mph at that point.

When you download it, use my numbers as an example. After you plug in the timeslips values in cells F11 - F14, get the 2 new values after "Y=" and plug them into B11 & B12. As the instructions say, do not change any cells in red.

0-60 Calculator

PLEASE!!! for those that would like to play with this, I would appreciate if you downloaded it and not change the copy on the web. If someone tries it online and screws it up, it leaves a bad sample for others who would like to try it.

Have Fun and cannot wait to see the numbers from you, Ron, Jap Tin, etc.

We talk routinely about how fast our hybridz are but this will really hit home when you compare your time to the supercars.

...Which gets back to what I've been saying for some time now... These creations of ours are true supercars. Sub-4 second Zero to Sixty times are VERY realistic in a 2500# car with 400+RWHP! Once you achieve that level of performance, you are sitting in stiff DB6, DIABLO, F50, 996TT company! Serious performers for sure!

Mike Kelly cheers.gif

Guest greimann

According to my G-tech, I get 4.8 sec. 0-60. The swap to the '79 is a little tighter because of the steering box, but doable. See below.

BTW, Greimann that car of yours is the CLEANEST ZX install I have seen up close and personal ... PERIOD! Super SANO, and a real clean car in general, and I'm normally NOT a fan of the 2+2 model, but man...W-O-W!

Mike Kelly 2thumbs.gif

Guest greimann

Much thanks on the compliment. It means a great deal to me coming from a fellow enthusiast. cheers.gif

I learned a lot about design, style and fabrication techniques and materials from a place I worked a few years ago - Metalcrafters in Fountain Valley California. They build all of Chrysler's concept cars. They did the original Viper, Prowler, PT Cruiser, and many others. I was a project engineer, not a fabricator, but learned a lot from the guys that built unitbody cars from SCRATCH! hail.gifhail.gif

Don, next time I see you, I would really appreciate a ride in your Z!! :D I have not gone that fast in a LONG time!

I have yet to put my Chevy engine in...but once that happens, I will most likely see about 5 seconds or so 0-60. With better heads, that number will go down to the high fours. I'm pretty sure that this is realistic.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, thanks for all the info, but I still have one more question, does the stock transmission on a 79 280zx hold up, or will that need to be replaced in the conversion? Thanks again.

The trans must be swapped. Wrong bellhousing bolt pattern, wrong input shaft type and size, and just not do-able! Things you would have to mod... Fuel delivery... You won't use the stock fuel pump, as it is designed for Fuel Injection (This applies only if you are doing a carbed V8 swap)... Radiator.. Most likely you will need a different radiator for flowing and cooling capacety.... Electricals... You will ditch the FI wiring harness and modify the factory harness for the swap you plan.

Hope this helps...

Mike :cool:

Mike

Guest zfan

Depends on what motor you are looking at running. Lets say sbc v8 since you are in the Chebby forum :D . Do you want to go auto? If so you can go turbu 350/400 but will suck cruising with no overdrive,so I would look at 700r4 or 200r4 automatic overdrive four speeds. By the way if you go 700r4 buy one from 1987 or up as they are much sturdier.

If you go manual you can go T/10 four speed, very bullit proof but no overdrive :( that sucks as I had one in my v8 Z for two years before I swapped to 700r4. Alternatives are t5, world class being even better or If you got the bucks go T56 six speed manual. T56 is the HOT swap.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Mike