HybridZ

327.........best tranny to couple with it???

Guest beanerZ

Guest beanerZ

I have the opputunity to buy a 1972 327cui 240.....but the tranny..... a four speed..... is on its last leg.......what would be the best tranny to replace it with....turbos (350..400).........You guys are pros...im just a beaner.....have pity and help your boy out. :?:

Guest BigWhyteDude

if I were in you situation i would put a world class T-5 tranny into it. just b/c i like standard trannies and its a 5 speed that can take a fair amout of abuse.

a used old 4 spd costs almost as much as a used t5, if not more in some cases. they will take more power than a t5 will, but with people cruising the freeway at an average speed of 80mph these days, the t5 is a good choice for a manual transmisson.

• 2 weeks later...

For an auto go with either a 200R4 or a 700R4. Both can stand up to your engine and are overdrive. The 200R4 is lighter and a little more efficient but harder to find. The 700R4 is fairly easy to find as it came in just about every rear wheel drive GM made since the mid 80's. The later one are supposed to be stronger but the newer ones called the 4L60E are computer controlled so you would probably want to avoid them.