HybridZ

CV axles adapted to an R180

Guest MistressMotorsports

Guest MistressMotorsports

OK, I did a search and emailed with Ross before posting. Anyone ever adapted CV jointed axles to an R180? If so, what axles did you use? I'd really like to keep my locked R180 for road racing since it seems to be holding up just fine and weighs less than an R200, but the U joints only last about two events. Thanks for any advice.

Mike

(sorry, just realized this should have been in the Driveline forum, maybe you will all take pity on me and respond anyway since I didn't double post.)

Both the 280ZX and the 1981-84 Maxima had models with R180's and CV axles. These could be swapped into an earlier Z car provided you change the companion flange on the stub axle. However, the CV companion flange only fits the 240Z (smaller) stub axle spline.

I just came from a JY today that had two 200SXs (not 240SX) side by side. Under the cars, they both had CV jointed shafts that looked indentical in all aspects to the 280ZX turbo shafts. The difference between the two was one had an R180, and the other had an R200. Obviously, if a bolt is required to hold the axles in place with your LSD, then I wonder if these pop-in stubs would work in your LSD carrier (I'm not an expert here with the R180 :oops:). The R180 did have the bolt-on bearing flanges and was obviously smaller than the R200 on the car next to it.

One other thing to address your problem is the alignment of your current shafts. Squat, and especially squat coming out of a turn, on a lowered car is hard on the U-jointed design. Have you considered raising the differential (sense it would seem to be out of the question to raise the ride height) up into the chassis to help straighten out the shafts? I did this on one of my cars (over 1.6", and it helped the longevity of the joints. I carefully hammered a concave portion into the Unibody crossmember that rides over the differential, put a shorter vent tube in the cover, and then raised the differential. Spacers were required for the front mount, and I created a "Z bracket" that bolted to the mustache bar and then allowed the differential to be bolted to the bracket (I was afraid to weld on the mustache bar, assuming it was spring steel, and I did not want to ruin the tempering).

OK' date=' I did a search and emailed with Ross before posting. Anyone ever adapted CV jointed axles to an R180? If so, what axles did you use? I'd really like to keep my locked R180 for road racing since it seems to be holding up just fine and weighs less than an R200, but the U joints only last about two events. Thanks for any advice.

Mike

(sorry, just realized this should have been in the Driveline forum, maybe you will all take pity on me and respond anyway since I didn't double post.)[/quote']

Mike, the main issue is that the LSD internals are different for CVs vs U-joints, as the CVs have a snap ring setup to hold them in. If you look at a Nissan Comp catalog, there are 2 different R180 LSDs, one for the Z and one for 200/240SXs. You may be able to buy the pieces individually to make it accept CVs and then you just need the adapters for the outers. It'll take some work, but do-able.

Guest ShelbyZ

I'm having the same problem. The R180 I'm wanting to use is out of an early 80's 4x4 truck. It doesn't require the "bolt" in the center of the stub axle...I'm guessing it uses the stub axle with the clip. Still looking for the stub axles "w/clip design" and hoping to figure out which CV halfshafts to use. May have to spend time in the JY measuring.

Keep ZZZZZZing,

ShelbyZ :-D

The R180 I'm wanting to use is out of an early 80's 4x4 truck. It doesn't require the "bolt" in the center of the stub axle...

Strange...the 4.11 R180 I got out of a 1982 4x4 Nissan 720 truck has the "bolt in" stub axles. Nissan must have used both versions.

Guest ShelbyZ

ZCARNUT, that's the way a buddy of mines R180 was setup exactly down to the gear ratio. The R180 I'm wanting to use has the 4.56 gear ratio.

Blueovalz, I'll do some checking on the rearend setup you described. This just might work.

Thanks guys.

Keep ZZZZZZZing,

ShelbyZ