HybridZ

bellhousing gussets only used for auto tranny

Just an observation I thought I would throw up here in case someone is curious about this. During my turbo swap I had noticed that there are two gussets to help support the transmission bellhousing that attach to the bottom of the L6 block. Before I actually got to installing I asked if anyone was retaining these gussets. Then when I actually installed the engine it became apparent that there are no provisions on manual trannies to bolt to these gussets. I checked 4spd and BW 5spd. My turbo engine came from an automatic car so I can only assume at this point the gussets only worked with the auto tranny. This makes sense to me because auto trannies are typically heavier. So speak up if anyone atually used them on a manual tranny.

Oh boy, this little stuff just wears me down. I got the 5spd put in, but I only had the plate that goes between the block and bellhousing from the 4spd. After everything was in then I though about checking the gussets again. No hole in that metal plate for the gusset bolts, wish I would have checked that when it was easy to drill. Oh well, looks like no gussets for me until I upgrade to the 240mm clutch this winter.