HybridZ

what ic kit and turbo

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just picked up an 82 l28et engine that i am going to rebuild. it needs a new turbo and i want to put an intercooler on it also. This is going to be going into an 83 280zx. I was wondering what turbo would be the best bang for my buck. I was looking at t3/t4 setup. I just dont want to spend to much $$$ on it.

My other question is what kind of intercooler kit i should look at. I looked at preavious posts and all i could find was a spearco 221 set up. is this a custom job or a kit? i found a hks kit for about 11 hundred but yet again bang for buck. im new to the turbo stuff so all the help i can get would be great. i know like psi (boost ) loss and stuff like that. wondering whats the best intercooler and stuff.

One last thing what kind of boost could i push on a rebuilt eng. and what kind of hp can i be looking at.

Thanks for your time and info (new guy dont rag to hard)

Fred

ARGH!

Tis quite peculiar methinks.

Well, all I did was type in Hybrid Turbo in the search box and only looked in Turbo/supercharger forum and I got 7 pages, relating to everything under the sun-All types of FMIC, HP, BOV, DYNO, Links almighty to member websites, and quite a few many more turbo discussions, regarding but in way limited to maintenance, troubleshooting, and quite a plethora more interesting pieces of information.

Please use the search function, not to be mean or anything, but I myself have answered these queries similar to the ones to which you are currently inquiring so frequenty in the past months- I could partake in a hip hop like (rap) dance while singing (and rhyming the lyrics, something like:

("I have a t04e,

NPR fmic,

HKS ssqv bov,

in my 75,

two eighty zee")

the methods used by myself and others while balancing a plate on my head standing on nails, and rhyme out the details that pertain to your specific inquiry. Sorry, too much coffee this morning, plus last night I hit a Homerun, and I just cant wait for tonite-FRIDAY night you know!!!!

Guest bastaad525

Hey man... I ask a lot of 'commonly asked' questions too... I'm so guilty, don't feel bad man. But I will say this, every time I have ever tried to do a search here, I NEVER get back any results that pertain to what I searched for. I know I"m not always the brightest of lights so I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but I know someone else here seconded that oppinion as well (about the search feature, not about me being too bright!!). I know I never have a problem with search over at zcar.com...

I will say this also, I do chat on other forums that use the same kind of board as this one, same format or whatever, and I have similiar problems with the search features on those forums too... what does it mean?!?!?

I don't know how you folks are searching, but I just did a search on the keyword "intercooler" in the turbo forum, and got back PAGES of threads.

And that is my advice too. We are all about knowing why we use a certain performance part, be it a compressor trim, or a particular intercooler configuration. So do a general search, read up on what people do relative to your goals, and start forming your own opinions on the proper parts to use in YOUR Z car.

Just say NO to "kits". ;)

Guest bastaad525

okay I'm baffled now... I dont know what I've been doing wrong up til now, but I just did what you did Sleeper, did a search in this forum for intercooler, and yeah this time I got back pages of RELEVANT results... first time that has happened out of like 10 tries I swear! Okay well now I will go back to using the search first :)

Guest Anonymous

You say no to using kits... why is that? is it just better to do your own custom fab.? what are the pros and cons......... ?

And i too am getting better at searching for things.... by the way is there anyone in the dallas area that has done a L20et swap?

You say no to using kits... why is that? is it just better to do your own custom fab.? what are the pros and cons......... ?

The main reason is no one makes reasonably priced kits' date=' for any car, but especially Zs; there isn't the market to support it like the new cars (Honda, Ford...) and I'm a cheapskate. I piece together a system I can afford. I got a deal on a used intercooler from a guy at the strip - saw him run low 12's on it. Had to make some pipes for it, but I'm very happy with the results.

Second reason is just the satisfaction of having to learn how stuff works, applying it and seeing the results.

Cons I think, with a kit you may miss important details, and not knowing, you can mess it up. I used to peruse Honda boards, to see what they know about turbocharging. It seems like the concept of fuel managment is frequently absent - just throw on the "FMU" and it handles boost just fine. Don't upgrade the pump and [b']BOOM![/b] Engine shelled because the motor ran lean.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks /........ yea after reading some more posts( for the better part off 3 hours :shock: ) i found out i want to do my own . im thinking about going witha t3/t4 turbo. ill keep ya'll up to date. i pick up the engine to day so...... :twisted: im planning on sending the heads off. i want to rebuild it most of myself but ya know.

Thanks,

Fred