HybridZ

Wonderful World of Rice

Guest EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

Okay here's the deal.

I have recently met some people who are very into competing w/ their cars. These are the people that I see driving around in circles on Fri. and Sat. nights bumping their systems and being cool in their hondas and mitsu.s. This is okay w/ me.....not for me, but if they wanna do it, whatever.

Here's the thing about it. The people I've met seem to be very proud of their cars and maybe for good reason (I dont' knwo). So, I get interested and begin to talk to them about their cars. None of them will do it. All of them drag race in a small group (i guess it's some "Underground" thing) some for money but most not. They will not talk about their cars and if they do, they just lie and talk it down.

I DONT GET IT. I mean, I sort of understand, but why not tell people how amazing it is, and then kick people's butts.

Do any of you guys get this? It doesn't make sense and drives me up the wall. I have no problem telling people that I have a bonestock Zcar and then beating them. I guess I'm just weird.

Well, I just thought I'd yell about them crazys.

-Noah

Most of them likely have little knowledge about their cars (mechanically) and are scared to sound stupid if they say something wrong. That would be my guess, or maybe they don't want to 'tip off' the competition as to what they have.

Tim

Guest EnthuZiast

That's pretty much what I've decided. It's silly. The thing is is that I'm not asking these guys what they have in there as we roll up to the line. I ask them when we're all sitting around talking.

I guess it's just not worth the time it takes to complain.

Kinda funny since I think most of the fun is standing around talking to other car nuts about you have done to your car, getting ideas, bragging, whatever....oh well.....I guess it's the choice of a new generarion!

Tim

I DONT GET IT. I mean' date=' I sort of understand, but why not tell people how amazing it is, and then kick people's butts.

[/quote']

I do not street race, but street racing is not just horsepower or traction. It is a mixture of skill, lucky, and the forementioned power and traction. A 12 second car in one drivers hands may run a 14 in another, especially if its a stick shift. There are 13 second Lambo Diablos for instance. So for most of the guys that dont have that many mods on the cars anyway, there is really no reason to brag about what the car has, especially if they talk smack and then lose.

Most of them likely have little knowledge about their cars (mechanically) and are scared to sound stupid if they say something wrong.

Agreed, I helped push start a Honda in my complex, lowered, body kit, exaust header. After we had it push started he asked me why it sounded the way it did (loud and kinda crappy), he popped the hood and I saw clearly the O2 sensor was not in the header all the way, so before the car got too hot (headers get hot wicked fast) I carefully tried to put the O2 in the bung and he said "oh, its stripped" and I told him well thats your problem right there. Not only will the car not run optimally, but its obviously a fat exaust leak, and he admitted then that he didn't know much about cars, but he still had a couple mods (the lowering job, header and obligatory rice kit).

He also has a sticker on his rear view mirror that says TURBO CLUTCH, whatever that is supposed to imply.

Eh, I know some guys with wicked fast cars who NEVER talk about what's been done. They do sneaky suff to keep them looking stock even when they're heavily modified. Yup, they street race bigtime! I get asked all the time about my Supra at cruises. I often don't give specifics about HP or times as I really don't want that information floating too freely around. While I don't street race I used to and it's possible I might make some side cash one evening if someone irritates me enough. No sense tipping my hand too much 8) I DO pop the hood and I will answer most questions but I don't get too specific <shrug>