HybridZ

Dyno tuning - pricing?

jeromio

Have any of you guys had your car Dyno tuned? I know Gary did. My car is running really, really bad in closed loop. Idle is all over the place, dies occasionally, runs WAAY rich. It runs fine in openloop (O2s disconnected). So, I could just do that.

However, it turns out there is a shop here in Durham that has a dyno and will do a Dyno tune on the car - for $600.

So, is that a reasonable fee? He said that $250 of that is a license for my VIN for LS1edit (the PCM tuning software) and that if the car every needs minor adjustments late on, it'll be free. (Strange that he doesn't have the Tuner license for LS1Edit - maybe he does and this is how he is paying for it?)

I like the idea of getting the car optimally tuned, I just don't think I can afford it. On the other hand, I don't know that I like the idea of just driving it around in openloop. Apparently there are some guys running mod'd motors that disconnect the O2s too, but then they also have LS1Edit and have the fuel maps, etc. optimized for this. My car seems to run pretty rich with no O2s. Which sort of makes me think I may have too much fuel pressure which might possibly be causing my closed loop problems - I dunno. Tried finding a fuel pressure guage locally, but no one carries one that goes as high as 60psi.

Ditto, plus you dont have to expect someone else to do a half assed job. I have seen "pro tuners" leave stuff @ WOT with 14.0:1 AF ratios, freaking hack jobs, RIPOFF.

I prefer DIY even if it were to cost more up front, unfortunately LS1 Edit is $550? Tunercat keeps saying any day now when I ask but obviously not out yet.

Yeah, $550. Plus I need the diag. software. I currently have ATAP Generic, which leaves out many params. To actually do anything to the tune I would need EFILive at an additional $250 bringing me to $800.

That would still leave me scratching my head some more trying to get everything straight and not having the wideband or the dyno.

Urrgh.

I mean, he was sort of marketing that $250 cost as being access to LS1Edit in his shop, which isn't too bad. I mean, the place is really close by. But then I'm still at $350 for the dyno and the labor.

Well if I had someone I could take my LT1 280ZX to, to have tuned "optimally" I think I would seriously consider it. Yeah its going to cost you $600 but just think...your car will be running great and you wont have to worry about messing up your engine from running too lean or too rich all the time. Just set it and forget it! :D Thats the nice part about EFI, you dont have to adjust it all the time unless you are swapping parts out all the time.

I say start saving up and get it done! Unless you think you can tune it yourself with TUNERCAT?

Guy