HybridZ

130...140...160mph...???

davidh

Guest bastaad525

yeah the ZX's are more aerodynamic and should hit higher top speeds. Kinda sux... you think they're bigger and bulkier but they are still SLEEKER... heh.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

145mph on the speedo with the windows down the car was all oevr the road very scary and prolly wouldn't do it again.I wasn't at redline and it was still pulling(this was last year racing that camaro ss)I did it down a flat road that no one travels but it's just way to dangerous for me to do it again.

if your referring to me my mods are a stock L28et block mild ported and polished head,Intake polished also,t3/t4e hybrid turbo,timz's old ic i think it's a spearco,65mmtb 2.5" ic piping all mendrel bent tubing,420cc injs,custom fuel rail,ss down pipe from scottiegnz 2.5",3" exhaust straight thru all the way to the back then to a magnaflow muffler,cv halfshaft adaprts and shafts,turbo rear diff (3.54),and i think that's it.The bottom end and head except for the porting is all stock.I ran about 10psi last year i run 20 now much much faster :)

Well since I'm depressed a bit about my engine woes, I'll wallow in the past....

I hit a calculated 147mph in 5th gear@7400rpm. 2.9L N/A 280 with serious engine mods, and moderate aero mods ie car lowered to 2.5" off the ground, front belly pan, one side mirror, no antenea or marker lights, mild rear flare, smoothed out front end,

Calc's were based on RPM, wheel dia, tranny and diff ratios etc...

The Z felt pretty solid, as I waved out the window as I passed the Ferrari I was racing with at 135mph! :shock:

I had my stock 81 ZXT with an automatic wound up to 7500 and still pulling hard......poor mustang couldn't keep up. Of course your engine lets out a nice scream when you go past 7G on the Tach :shock: . That was on 215 65/r15 Potenza rubber to so go punch it into your transmission calc.

He had a nice photo of himself driving down the autobahn @ 160+mph in a 240z with what he said was a stock turbo engine. Oh, the photo was taken as he was doing this speed, 1 hand on the wheel, the other on the camera. :shock:

My buddy has a Viper and he did the same thing. (one hand on the wheel, one on the camera) He took a pic of the speedo reading 320kph!!

• 10 months later...

stock (as far as I know) 81zxt auto 215/60 at 7800 rpms 2am one night... turbo sure does like the high end but the engine lets out a whole new scream at those revs. Poor BMW 5 series didn't want to hang at those speeds either :-D

Guest bastaad525

how are you guys not melting parts on stock (stock as in unintercooled) turbo motors pulling to 7500+ rpm??? Even at stock boost levels I have a hard time seeing the stock motor running at that RPM for very long (seconds....)

ooo key, the worlds only top-end turboed 280 with a 7800 rpm stock engine has weighed in......

The photo on the autobahn was my screensaver for about three years until that computer terminally crashed. It was actually 145 indicated, with proper sized tires, and a stock non-intercooled L28ET (eurospec) at 10psi boost in a 240Z

The ZisiZit Super-Z went something like 178mph with a 280 body. I do not believe he had a G-Nose. This is the guy who (yes F-n-F Fans) blew the WELDS on his manifold. Apparently he was running 25psi, and sheetmetal a bit thinner than what he should've, and during the run on long course BLEW the manifold apart!

So now that you guys have a boost figure, and a body configuration, and know what JeffP makes around 23psi...

Can you figure how much HP it takes to get a Stock Bodied Z over 150mph? :D

I'm with John C on this one. Anything over 150 TRUE is a difficult feat to accomplish. And it AIN'T happenin' in NUTHIN Stock Datsun 6-Style!

stock (as far as I know) 81zxt auto 215/60 at 7800 rpms 2am one night... turbo sure does like the high end but the engine lets out a whole new scream at those revs.

It was either screaming for mercy or stuck in 1st gear and I am sure those were its last words. OTOH......oh heck, BS!

man, this stuff is getting thick around here so why not add to it. 135mph in a tick over 10-secs, pinned to the seat and still in 3rd with OD to go. Oh wait, I do not have a Z :D :D

ZX's don't even have a tach that goes to 7800rpm...

I did some G-tech runs 2 nights ago, and the car felt good at 120mph. It sure had a lot of 'go' left when I let off there!

Ran a 13.83 on the G-tech with 9psi boost. (I blew up my walbro pump and am back to the stocker, hence the limited boost) The brakes felt much scarier at 120mph than driving the car straight did though. :shock: